Komodo release

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

geots

Re: slight problem

Post by geots »

Don wrote:
WuShock wrote:Concentrate...

1. Left-click on the Komodo 6 download link
2. click 'Save' or 'save file'

Note: DON'T screw this up. You can download Komodo-6.zip just once.

--------------------------------------

I concentrated , did the left click , and everything went fine , but the DL stopped 3KB short ......... Am I toast ??

Komodo6-TomGlenn 0 B/s - 1,530 KB of 1,533 KB
Please don't use the forum for customer supports. You can send me emails - my email is visible from this site.

Don

I am George's wife Linda. He is way too sick to sit at the computer. I do not know Don, but according to george he is a great guy. And I am very very sorry he is sick and pray he gets over this. But when you talk to us about cancer and fighting for your life, you are talking to Noah about the flood. I just hope he doesn't read this- he will kill me for mentioning it.

Right now he is having a bad spell- I have been a nurse for 43 years and I know. What I cannot understand- and the reason I am even writing here at all- is too try and reach someone- anyone- who can help george. He is my husband- maybed there is a bias. But I could not understand why they just quit using george as a bita tester- and did not even have the courtesy to tell him. He had no idea there was a Komodo 6. He said to let it alone- it was no big deal, and he would go ahead and pay for K6. So I shut up and he paid for it.

Now he cannot get the download. We got to some page- I don't understand much about it, but it told him "don't screw up". Which he said he didn't. But after clicking on whatever, it took him to a blank page- nothing. He tried 2twice more- same thing. If they want to handle this with mails- then please answer the mails. We sent 3 mails last night to komodo support and another to Don himself- maybe 2. No reply even today. He quietly paid for it with a credit card and was sent a receipt. Except no program- and this is getting ridiculous. If you can't handle problems within 12 to 18 hours- I suggest another method of taking care of business.

Is it possible to help us with this?

Thank you
Linda P. Speight
bnculp

Post by bnculp »

In my case I could not open the downloaded file in Windows. I had to rename the file and add extension ".zip" (without the quotes). Once I did that I could open the zip file from Windows Explorer. :D
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

geots wrote:I am George's wife Linda. He is way too sick to sit at the computer.....
Hi Linda,

sorry to hear that George is so unwell. Please pass on my sincerest best wishes.
I have no doubts whatsoever that Don will sort out the Komodo problem for you as quickly as he is able.

Regards,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

Graham Banks wrote:
geots wrote:I am George's wife Linda. He is way too sick to sit at the computer.....
Hi Linda,

sorry to hear that George is so unwell. Please pass on my sincerest best wishes.
I have no doubts whatsoever that Don will sort out the Komodo problem for you as quickly as he is able.

Regards,
Graham.
Hi Linda,

you can also assure George of Talkchess' mods team's best wishes. (Adam, Julien and Miguel)
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Hi Linda,

Please pass on my best wishes to George also. I wondered why he had not been posting for a while.

Regards,
Ray
leavenfish

Post by leavenfish »

Will Komodo 6 have the same problem as Komodo 5.1r2 when it comes to analysis within Chessbase?

I am referring to the depth indicator spiraling out of control when it comes to MultiPV. This happens when you switch the thread number from, say 1 to 3 or 4 and there is some bad communication between the engine and the Chessbase GUI. You do not know what depth the engine is looking at...very bad for analysis, which is what I have always used Komodo for.
emadsen
Full name: Erik Madsen

Re: Komodo release

Post by emadsen »

Don,

I don't know what to say other than to encourage you to spend as much time with friends and family and try to keep your spirits up. I admire you for all the hours of hard work you've put into this hobby you love. I admire you for your strong moral compass and for the sense of wonder and curiosity that is so apparent in your writings. You inspired me to write my own chess engine- and to do it properly. From the ground up, despite the moments of bewilderment and frustration, so as to get the maximum education from the project.

I wish you well. I hope you recover. And I hope Komodo passes Houdini. But know this- if it does not, it is not a failure. For your program is an original construction and not simply the product of hundreds of thousands of hours of tweaking and tuning of Rybka / Ippolit code. In the final analysis, your approach to technical projects is of more value to mankind. It opens new avenues of discovery. You should be proud of your accomplishment.
My C# chess engine: https://www.madchess.net
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

Don wrote:As many of you know I have a fatal illness. It has progressed to a point where it has now become an acute form of Lukemia. I'm losing this battle.
Don
Very sad news. I wish you all the best.

Stefan
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

bnculp wrote:In my case I could not open the downloaded file in Windows. I had to rename the file and add extension ".zip" (without the quotes).
I'm to blame for the download trouble Linda and others were having. In the time-pressure of releasing K6 on Friday, I made a coding mistake in the download script. It's been fixed and the download now has a .zip extension.

The nasty bite to the instructions are also from me, "Concentrate...DON'T SCREW THIS UP".

Muse has inspired me into writing a public ode of apology. First draft,

Code: Select all

if (Komodo 6 is the strongest engine in the world && Jesse defines a variable badly)
   {
    Don gets a public lashing!
   }
else 
   {
    nobody complains at all AND 
    Rival gets a thrashing!
   }
Hurnavich

Post by Hurnavich »

Hi, I have the same problem,