benchmark new smartphones: (Old Thread)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ponti

Moto X and Galaxy Note 3 benchmarks ?

Post by Ponti »

I'm interested in buying a new cell phone...
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Re: Moto X and Galaxy Note 3 benchmarks ?

Post by mclane »

Ifo you want to do chess with it I would advise to buy a used samsung note II with exynos quad CPU.
It's second I'm the list, has a large screen good for chess and web surfing (5.5 ") and has a big battery that lasts long. Buy it used so you get the most for your money. Put a big memory card into it and you have a very good mobile.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Jhoravi

Post by Jhoravi »

Too bad Note2 uses AMOLED screen which is prone to burn-in especially when you always view static graphics. Best example of static graphic is Chessboard. Ouch!!
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

But you Look for Email, do websurfing, dual numbers and and and. The Board is Not always on top. I have no Problems with my Note 2 and you can believe me that i am heavily using it for chess. Its still the fastest mobile for Memory computerchess. Maybe the samsung galaxy S5 with 64 Bit exynos octacore will change in 2014. but today it is still fast as an Android phone.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
bretti

Smartphone Stockfish-benchmarks

Post by bretti »

I am not sure if there is a real comparison of the complete list. In the future it could be better to add informations about OS-version and App-version.

My results for some iOS-devices, using iOS 7.02 and Stockfish 2.7.0 (2013/09/26)

iPhone 5S:
1095.6 kN/s

iPad 4:
587.7 kN/s

iPad 3:
293.8 kN/s
Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Smartphone Stockfish-benchmarks

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

bretti wrote:I am not sure if there is a real comparison of the complete list. In the future it could be better to add informations about OS-version and App-version.

My results for some iOS-devices, using iOS 7.02 and Stockfish 2.7.0 (2013/09/26)

iPhone 5S:
1095.6 kN/s

iPad 4:
587.7 kN/s

iPad 3:
293.8 kN/s
Yes,I get the same kN/s on my iPad 4 and I wonder about the huge difference between it and between iPhone 5s....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
bretti

Post by bretti »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote: Yes,I get the same kN/s on my iPad 4 and I wonder about the huge difference between it and between iPhone 5s....
Dr.D
I am not sure about the A6X (iPad4) and A6 (iPhone5) but Apple declares the new A7 two times faster than the "A6" (A6X?).

A6 is 2cores (1,3 Ghz) 32-bit, A6X is 2cores (1,4 Ghz) 32-bit (ARMv7), but the new A7 is 2cores (1,3 Ghz) RISC 64-bit (ARMv8). I think iPad 4, iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s have 1 GB RAM.
kinderchocolate
Full name: Ted Wong

Post by kinderchocolate »

bretti wrote:I am not sure if there is a real comparison of the complete list. In the future it could be better to add informations about OS-version and App-version.

iPhone 5S:
1095.6 kN/s

iPad 4:
587.7 kN/s

iPad 3:
293.8 kN/s

Congratulation for upgrading to the 4 inch screen! Do you feel much better than the old 3.5? Now you can see three multi-pv variations on SmallChess! : - )

A7 chip itself is a much faster chip than A6. It also runs 64 bits which is a killer feature for chess. It is not a improvement for 99% of the application, but chess belong to the 1%. When I run the same engine on the same device for 32 bits, the improvement was just modest. My observation tell me the huge speed up is due to the 64 bits architecture.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

bretti wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote: Yes,I get the same kN/s on my iPad 4 and I wonder about the huge difference between it and between iPhone 5s....
Dr.D
I am not sure about the A6X (iPad4) and A6 (iPhone5) but Apple declares the new A7 two times faster than the "A6" (A6X?).

A6 is 2cores (1,3 Ghz) 32-bit, A6X is 2cores (1,4 Ghz) 32-bit (ARMv7), but the new A7 is 2cores (1,3 Ghz) RISC 64-bit (ARMv8). I think iPad 4, iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s have 1 GB RAM.
That's about right....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

kinderchocolate wrote:

iPhone 5S:
1095.6 kN/s

iPad 4:
587.7 kN/s

iPad 3:
293.8 kN/s

Congratulation for upgrading to the 4 inch screen! Do you feel much better than the old 3.5? Now you can see three multi-pv variations on SmallChess! : - )

A7 chip itself is a much faster chip than A6. It also runs 64 bits which is a killer feature for chess. It is not a improvement for 99% of the application, but chess belong to the 1%. When I run the same engine on the same device for 32 bits, the improvement was just modest. My observation tell me the huge speed up is due to the 64 bits architecture.
I do think that 64bit hardware will help tremendously in chess, but is there any engine designed for Android or Apple OS that runs in native 64 bits? I think there would need to be new compiles specifically for 64 bits and not sure if Apple would accept as that would make the application void for basically all previous versions of hardware. I guess you could have the application with both 32 and 64 bit code, but maybe that would be very tricky to do.