Don Dailey, 1956 -2013

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Don Dailey, 1956 -2013

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

fern wrote:Some will say that your feeling is due to your Slavic sentimentalism. As a Latin, they will say something similar of me.

Fern
Same here as a petrolium sheikh :lol:

:wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

[quote="lkaufman" Despite the lack of formal education, by the mid 1990s he was the head of the computing department at M.I.T. (!!!!). Larry Kaufman[/quote]

According to IM Kenneth Regan, whom I'm sure is correct, this should be amended to read

"...by the mid 1990s he was the head of systems administration for the MIT Laboratory for Computer Science."
fern

Post by fern »

A great accomplishment anyway.

fern
bhlangonijr

Post by bhlangonijr »

lkaufman wrote:
lkaufman wrote: Despite the lack of formal education, by the mid 1990s he was the head of the computing department at M.I.T. (!!!!). Larry Kaufman
According to IM Kenneth Regan, whom I'm sure is correct, this should be amended to read

"...by the mid 1990s he was the head of systems administration for the MIT Laboratory for Computer Science."
That's true. I met him in DOCCC 2010 and at some point I asked him if "he was still teaching at MIT" (Obviously I just presumed he was a professor at MIT). He said something like: "Why does everyone ask that? I worked at the *systems ADMINISTRATION department....". He seemed a bit upset but still smiling... :)

Larry you were there as well but you probably don't remember about that. :)
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

bhlangonijr wrote:
lkaufman wrote:
lkaufman wrote: Despite the lack of formal education, by the mid 1990s he was the head of the computing department at M.I.T. (!!!!). Larry Kaufman

That's true. I met him in DOCCC 2010 and at some point I asked him if "he was still teaching at MIT" (Obviously I just presumed he was a professor at MIT). He said something like: "Why does everyone ask that? I worked at the *systems ADMINISTRATION department....". He seemed a bit upset but still smiling... :)

I was there as a student thirty years earlier!
Mark

Post by Mark »

lkaufman wrote:
bhlangonijr wrote:
lkaufman wrote:

I was there as a student thirty years earlier!
Which is also quite an accomplishment!
WuShock

Post by WuShock »

Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
mig2004

Post by mig2004 »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/gene-therapy-scor ... 00028.html

... but too late for Don.

Quite interesting Matthias. Thanks for the link.

As an add-on, here is another interesting discussion, by cancer sufferers themselves... http://www.cancercompass.com/message-bo ... 6132,0.htm

I hope that we don't have to lose more good people.
Mincho Georgiev

Post by Mincho Georgiev »

I came back here today after a couple of months break and this is very sad news. Thank you Don! R.I.P, you will be missed!