TM Dendogram - Christmas 2013 Edition

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ThomasJMiller

TM Dendogram - Christmas 2013 Edition

Post by ThomasJMiller »

Will programmers receive toys and candy or coal this Christmas? To find out, let's check Santa's Naughty or Nice List :D
Latest releases of many commercial and free engines have been included together with the most important open source ones.

Testing all the engines and preparing the dendogram has taken a lot of time so I wouldn't like this thread to be moved to the Engine Origins subforum. Therefore, please, avoid making comments like XXX is clone of YYY or so.
Everyone can nowadays read a dendogram, so you can draw your own conclusions by yourself.

Thanks to Adam Hair who helped me improve selfsimilarity results.

Tom Likens

Re: TM Dendogram - Christmas 2013 Edition

Post by Tom Likens »

Hello Thomas,

Djinn is weak, but I know I haven't copied it--that said, I would be very curious who it is most similar to. Could you include it in the test, (latest public version is 0.992)?

thanks,
--tom
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

So Gaviota is a clone of Chiron ? I KNEW IT !!!
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
ThomasJMiller

Post by ThomasJMiller »

Tom Likens wrote:Hello Thomas,

Djinn is weak, but I know I haven't copied it--that said, I would be very curious who it is most similar to. Could you include it in the test, (latest public version is 0.992)?

thanks,
--tom
Hello Tom,
unfortunately Djinn supports only the Winboard protocol and Don's Similarity Tester works with UCI engines. I might try Wb2UCI, but I had some problems with it in the past.
Last edited by ThomasJMiller on Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThomasJMiller

Post by ThomasJMiller »

JuLieN wrote:So Gaviota is a clone of Chiron ? I KNEW IT !!!
LOL perhaps I said too soon that everyone can read a dendogram nowadays :lol:

You can safely ignore anything above 15 (perhaps also above 12.5).
Tom Likens

Post by Tom Likens »

ThomasJMiller wrote:

thanks,
--tom
Hello Tom,
unfortunately Djinn supports only the Winboard protocol and Don's Similarity Tester works with UCI engines. I might try Wb2UCI, but I had some problems with it in the past.
Hi Thomas,

I think I need to do what Jon did with Arasan and make it support both UCI and Winboard. It isn't all that hard to do, I've just been too lazy. Maybe over Christmas.

regards,
--tom
elcabesa

Post by elcabesa »

does it means that Vajolet is not similar to any other engine?
I'm really happy about that :)
ThomasJMiller

Post by ThomasJMiller »

elcabesa wrote:does it means that Vajolet is not similar to any other engine?
I'm really happy about that :)
Santa said you'll receive a toy :D
elcabesa

Post by elcabesa »

it's has been the most beautiful toy I received, I used lot's of ideas code from stockfish and other open source engines and I alway worried about "being a clone".
Now I'm happy. My engine is not strong but it's not a clone too :)
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

thanks,
--tom
Djinn 0.925x was included in the similarity testing that I did a couple of years ago. Ed is hosting my report here. In the dendrograms at that link, distances greater than 0.44 are good.