New free engine - Orion

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

David Carteau
Full name: David Carteau

Re: New free engine - Orion

Post by David Carteau »

Leto wrote:We tested Orion 0.1 with over 1k games for CEGT 40/4, it ended up with a 2048 rating on the list. You can see the match results here:
http://www.husvankempen.de/nunn/40_4_Ra ... /1360.html

list:
http://www.husvankempen.de/nunn/40_4_Ra ... liste.html

Looking forward to testing the new version.
Yes, I saw : thank you a lot Leto (and all the CEGT team) for all these games ! I hope the new version will behave correctly with the popcnt detection : please let me know if you encounter problems (or not !)...
Leto

Post by Leto »

David Carteau wrote:Image

I'm pleased to announce a new release of my UCI engine : Orion 0.2 :)

This version includes notably an attempt to automatically detect and use 'popcnt' instruction if present on your CPU. In case of problem, this can be disabled by running "Orion.exe -no-popcnt".

More information here : http://orionchess.pagesperso-orange.fr

David.
Unfortunately I couldn't test it, it's crashing when the engine has to make its move. It loads up and as soon as it has to make its first move it crashes.
David Carteau

Post by David Carteau »

Leto wrote: Unfortunately I couldn't test it, it's crashing when the engine has to make its move. It loads up and as soon as it has to make its first move it crashes.
Yes, Graham (from CCRL) has a similar problem on a PC without popcnt instruction : I apologize and I'm very confused...

I fixed the problem and I am currently playing non regression tests. The patched version should be available tomorrow morning.

Does your CPU support popcnt instruction (maybe there is another problem, according to the Murphy's law ;)) ?

Thanks,

David
fern

Post by fern »

Graham only know to write one line of code, which is the following:

Thanks .....(put the name of the author)

when someone present an engine. He is polite, our chap here.

Fern
Leto

Post by Leto »

David Carteau wrote:
Leto wrote: Unfortunately I couldn't test it, it's crashing when the engine has to make its move. It loads up and as soon as it has to make its first move it crashes.
Yes, Graham (from CCRL) has a similar problem on a PC without popcnt instruction : I apologize and I'm very confused...

I fixed the problem and I am currently playing non regression tests. The patched version should be available tomorrow morning.

Does your CPU support popcnt instruction (maybe there is another problem, according to the Murphy's law ;)) ?

Thanks,

David
I have two computers that do (FX-8300, and i3), and two that don't (core 2 duo mobile and Q9650). It was on the c2d machine that it crashed, and I'm sure it would too on my Q9650. I now tried it on my i3 and it worked, it opened up a dos box saying something about popcnt support=yes, then it closed and it worked. I'm certain it would work on my FX-8300 as well but I won't have access to it until tomorrow.

Usually what I've seen other authors do is they release several versions, a standard version and an SSE4.2 version, because a lot of people still haven't upgraded to a modern cpu.
Norbert Raimund Leisner

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner »

link is unavailable due to maintenance work by the provider at the moment

Pour l´instant, ce lien susmentionné ne fonctionne pas:

Un message écrit du fournisseur d´accès Internet est:

Ce service est actuellement indisponible
Nous effectuons actuellement des travaux de maintenance sur ce site
nous vous prions de bien vouloir nous en excuser et de renouveler votre visite ultérieurement
page d'accueil orange.fr :( :( :(

Norbert
David Carteau

Post by David Carteau »

Leto wrote: I have two computers that do (FX-8300, and i3), and two that don't (core 2 duo mobile and Q9650). It was on the c2d machine that it crashed, and I'm sure it would too on my Q9650. I now tried it on my i3 and it worked, it opened up a dos box saying something about popcnt support=yes, then it closed and it worked. I'm certain it would work on my FX-8300 as well but I won't have access to it until tomorrow.

Usually what I've seen other authors do is they release several versions, a standard version and an SSE4.2 version, because a lot of people still haven't upgraded to a modern cpu.
Thanks Leto for your feedback. I found yesterday evening an old laptop with a Core 2 Duo (T5500) CPU : after reinstalling Windows 7, I reproduced the problem and fixed it (the bug was strange : I will post a specific topic).

A patched version will be available soon but for the moment, according to the Murphy's law (:)) :
Norbert Raimund Leisner wrote:link is unavailable due to maintenance work by the provider at the moment

Pour l´instant, ce lien susmentionné ne fonctionne pas:

Un message écrit du fournisseur d´accès Internet est:

Ce service est actuellement indisponible
Nous effectuons actuellement des travaux de maintenance sur ce site
nous vous prions de bien vouloir nous en excuser et de renouveler votre visite ultérieurement
page d'accueil orange.fr :( :( :(

Norbert
Thanks Norbert for this information :)
Leto wrote: Usually what I've seen other authors do is they release several versions, a standard version and an SSE4.2 version, because a lot of people still haven't upgraded to a modern cpu.
Yes, if problems persist, I won't have the choice. But I found interesting to find how to provide only one executable for everyone... It's also a sort of challenge :)
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

fern wrote:Graham only know to write one line of code, which is the following:

Thanks .....(put the name of the author)

when someone present an engine. He is polite, our chap here.

Fern
Thanks Fern. :lol:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
David Carteau

Post by David Carteau »

David Carteau wrote: A patched version will be available soon
The patch is available for all users that encountered problems on hosts without 'popcnt' support. Simply re-download Orion v0.2 from here.

I hope everything will be ok now... Don't hesitate to report any new problems. Thanks !
fern

Post by fern »

wait my next engine, Moron 5.0...

Fern