Computer accounts on FICS and ICC

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mathmoi

Computer accounts on FICS and ICC

Post by mathmoi »

Hi,

A couple years ago I was running my engine on FICS and ICC and humans would play against it dozens of games per days. Since I recently resumed developpement on my engine recently I tried to have it play on ICC again (for some reasons my computer account is still active there, years after my human account expired) and I only got a couple of challenges in a 16 hours periods.

Is there any explication to this? Do peoples still play against computers on ICC? I notice there is not as much computer active as in the past.

Is there a better way nowadays to get my engine playing against humans?

Thanks in adance?
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Re: Computer accounts on FICS and ICC

Post by lucasart »

Humans are two weak to play computers ;)
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I sometimes let Stockfish, Critter, tjchess and sunsetter on FICS (under registred accounts).
For chess generally my computer gets busy against humans for example when I seek 3 0 time control games, or 15 0.
I noticed that less than 10 people can see my seeks of 1 0 time control.

I also noticed that weaker engines (typically in the human ratings range) are usually quite busy and are playing almost 24 hours a day.

So I'd say, try to modify your time controls and see what happens. Also remember to post 3 seeks at once.
jdart

Post by jdart »

There are several computer accounts that only play humans and they are fairly active.

Be sure your formula does not exclude players by rating.

--Jon
kinderchocolate
Full name: Ted Wong

Post by kinderchocolate »

People do still play computers. I tuned my engine's strength settings in FICS and adjusted their difficulties according how they perform against humans. I've played countless number of games on it. I do play against some of the other engines myself as well.
mathmoi wrote:Hi,

A couple years ago I was running my engine on FICS and ICC and humans would play against it dozens of games per days. Since I recently resumed developpement on my engine recently I tried to have it play on ICC again (for some reasons my computer account is still active there, years after my human account expired) and I only got a couple of challenges in a 16 hours periods.

Is there any explication to this? Do peoples still play against computers on ICC? I notice there is not as much computer active as in the past.

Thanks in adance?
mvk

Post by mvk »

mathmoi wrote:A couple years ago I was running my engine on FICS and ICC and humans would play against it dozens of games per days. Since I recently resumed developpement on my engine recently I tried to have it play on ICC again (for some reasons my computer account is still active there, years after my human account expired) and I only got a couple of challenges in a 16 hours periods.

I plan to let my ICC accounts expire this summer, as this year some new 'helpers' gave me too much trouble with all kinds of policy changes (for example, a computer is suddenly not allowed to "rematch" a human. If you do, they will rating ban you without telling. Even if the program has played almost a million games and has been doing that for 10 years.). Before that, there were only Houdini's and Stockfish operators anyway, and most amateurs had left. There is a tremendous elo gap between the top computers and the weaker ones, as in lots of 3000+, one(!) 2600-2700, and then all the 1900 and below computers. Some of the amateurs still frequent on FICS though. I get more games there anyways, both human and computers.
[Account deleted]
vittyvirus
Full name: Fahad Syed

Post by vittyvirus »

I let stockfish play with humans on arena, and mostly I accept the seeks myself. Whatever the seeks are, just accept them, and seek games unrated, and that finish under 15 min .
jdart

Post by jdart »

It is true what you say about ICC, but the problem with FICS is that there is more computer cheating there (human accounts using computers). It is annoying.

It is too bad more engines don't play regularly on the servers, although there has been a good turnout recently for HGM's monthly tourney on his server.

--Jon
IanO

Post by IanO »

jdart wrote:It is true what you say about ICC, but the problem with FICS is that there is more computer cheating there (human accounts using computers). It is annoying.

It is too bad more engines don't play regularly on the servers, although there has been a good turnout recently for HGM's monthly tourney on his server.

--Jon
One of these days, I'll port my Sapphire II - to - serial port shim from Win32 to a more portable, USB-friendly API, and get back onto FICS. That would provide a pretty manageable computer opponent!