This is ridiculous, please stop it?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

phenri

Re: This is ridiculous, please stop it?

Post by phenri »

bob wrote: If you reply to a post where there are several quoted posts, and the post YOU are replying to is therefore broken up into several different blocks of text, it is not easy for others to figure out which part you are replying to, unless you quote. Not all threads get that long. But on occasion. Trying to fix the problem is a loser idea, if you make replying harder, conversations die off too soon or else never even get started. This is supposed to be quick and easy.

If a thread gets too long, stop reading it.
It is amazing to see the author of a chess engine trying to apologize by such nonsense, and a flagrant bad faith.

Why is so hard for you to remove the useless [*quote*]. It take me 2 seconds, is not so quick ?
Volker Annuss

Post by Volker Annuss »

bob wrote: If a thread gets too long, stop reading it.
I often do that when the content grows with O(n) and the effort for scrolling grows with O(n^2).
bob

Post by bob »

phenri wrote:
bob wrote: If you reply to a post where there are several quoted posts, and the post YOU are replying to is therefore broken up into several different blocks of text, it is not easy for others to figure out which part you are replying to, unless you quote. Not all threads get that long. But on occasion. Trying to fix the problem is a loser idea, if you make replying harder, conversations die off too soon or else never even get started. This is supposed to be quick and easy.

It is amazing to see the author of a chess engine trying to apologize by such nonsense, and a flagrant bad faith.

Why is so hard for you to remove the useless [*quote*]. It take me 2 seconds, is not so quick ?
Because often quotes are nested several deep, and without a WYSIWYG type of editor, if one gets deleted by accident, it is tedious to try to put it back in the right place.

There is no "flagrant bad faith." If you don't like the way I post/quote, why not just not read posts I write here? My _real_ name is attached, so it is easy to figure out what I have posted. I find it quite silly to complain about something so unimportant.

Nothing really important or useful to do?
bob

Post by bob »

Volker Annuss wrote:
bob wrote: If a thread gets too long, stop reading it.
I often do that when the content grows with O(n) and the effort for scrolling grows with O(n^2).
One advantage of the mac interface, scrolling is fast and easy..
phenri

Post by phenri »

bob wrote:
phenri wrote:

Because often quotes are nested several deep, and without a WYSIWYG type of editor, if one gets deleted by accident, it is tedious to try to put it back in the right place.

There is no "flagrant bad faith." If you don't like the way I post/quote, why not just not read posts I write here? My _real_ name is attached, so it is easy to figure out what I have posted. I find it quite silly to complain about something so unimportant.

Amazing, you still repeat the same nonsense.
The original poster did not particularly direct this to you.

But in the example shown, it is clear that the nested quotes have been initiated by you. When you answer, there were only two nested quotes, you would simply remove one or two block quotes.

But why you use deep nested quotes when you are only two people writing consecutively, whether in flat or thread view ? Will you always pretend to ignore this question?
This is a forum I want to read anyone, this is not your personal home page.
bob

Post by bob »

phenri wrote:
bob wrote:
phenri wrote:

Amazing, you still repeat the same nonsense.
The original poster did not particularly direct this to you.

But in the example shown, it is clear that the nested quotes have been initiated by you. When you answer, there were only two nested quotes, you would simply remove one or two block quotes.

But why you use deep nested quotes when you are only two people writing consecutively, whether in flat or thread view ? Will you always pretend to ignore this question?
This is a forum I want to read anyone, this is not your personal home page.
You are free to read whatever you want. You are NOT free to tell ME how you want me to post. If you want to read my posts, you get what you get, not necessarily what you want. Otherwise just ignore posts by me and move on.

grow up.
phenri

Post by phenri »

It's not your messages I speak that may be fine, but your shit that you spread here as quotes. Is that you see the difference?
phenri

Post by phenri »

What you would not do in a real conversation face to the caller, do not take the Internet as a shield to do.
This is called Netiquette

You should read this, this passage relates more particularly to you.
This has been edited for usunet groups messages/email (particularly volatile) with a relative short period of retention. Which is not the case of a internet forum software.

(en) Arlene H. Rinaldi, The Net: User Guidelines and Netiquette - Index, Boca Raton FL, Florida Atlantic University, mai 1996 (html).
When quoting another person, edit out whatever isn't directly applicable to your reply. Don't let your mailing or Usenet software automatically quote the entire body of messages you are replying to when it's not necessary.Take the time to edit any quotations down to the minimum necessary to provide context for your reply. Nobody likes reading a long message in quotes for the third or fourth time, only to be followed by a one line response: "Yeah, me too."
http://courses.cs.vt.edu/~cs3604/lib/Ne ... i/dis.html
Henk

Post by Henk »

The worst is a reply on a long, complicated thread and you can't figure out anymore where the reply is about.

I've encountered that many times.

Quote is one solution or else skip complicated thread or quit.
Volker Annuss

Post by Volker Annuss »

Henk wrote:Quote is one solution or else skip complicated thread or quit.
So if you don't want people to skip or quit http://learn.to/quote