Electricity

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Henk

Electricity

Post by Henk »

How much does it cost if you are using your computer all day to tune your engine ? Does it cost as much as when you turn on an extra light bulb ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8eRDkiwGMM
bob

Re: Electricity

Post by bob »

Henk wrote:How much does it cost if you are using your computer all day to tune your engine ? Does it cost as much as when you turn on an extra light bulb ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8eRDkiwGMM
You can probably burn about 200 watts per hour with a decent machine. 100W+ just for a good multi-core CPU, then there are disk drives, network device, power supply losses, etc. So 3-4 KWH per day is doable.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Ok, 4KWH would be one Euro per day.
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

It depends upon what kind of computer you have.

I have 2 Intel 6 core and 1 Intel 8 core, all together they consume more than 600W from the wall outlet when they are calculating.

Video cards also consume a lot, so you have to use very simple video cards to keep the power as low as possible.

Amd processors are even more power hungry.

When I have my computers running 24hrs/day it cost me about €100 a month extra for electricity.

During the winter time it does not matter because you will use less gas for heating the house.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

If you're worried about your electric bill, there are a lot more stuff you can do then just the computer. :p
Stop using incandescent light bulbs, get some LED ones (its the 21st century for heavens sake). Don't leave lights on all the time.
Insulate the cracks in the doors and check your windows; if it feels cold heat is leaving. Don't run your electric heater 24/7. Unplug unused electronics.
Leto

Post by Leto »

I have a 12 core Intel and an 8 core Intel at my place, and an 8 core AMD at my girlfriend's place. Using the two computers is costing me about $40 to $50 more per month in the United States than when I only had a 4 core Intel (was paying around $40 a month when not in the winter season), and luckily for me my girlfriend's electricity is included in her rent.
dark_wizzie
Full name: Erica Lin

Post by dark_wizzie »

Joost Buijs wrote:It depends upon what kind of computer you have.

I have 2 Intel 6 core and 1 Intel 8 core, all together they consume more than 600W from the wall outlet when they are calculating.

Video cards also consume a lot, so you have to use very simple video cards to keep the power as low as possible.

Amd processors are even more power hungry.

When I have my computers running 24hrs/day it cost me about €100 a month extra for electricity.

During the winter time it does not matter because you will use less gas for heating the house.
The GPU would be idle during calculation though. At 100% load the GPUs would consume far more power, especially with an SLI/Crossfire setup. And far hotter too.
Dark_wizzie, aka Eric Lin. ABK book tester, crappy OTB player. Ex Chess2u mod. Likes pizza.
nionita

Post by nionita »

Leto wrote:I have a 12 core Intel and an 8 core Intel at my place, and an 8 core AMD at my girlfriend's place. Using the two computers is costing me about $40 to $50 more per month in the United States than when I only had a 4 core Intel (was paying around $40 a month when not in the winter season), and luckily for me my girlfriend's electricity is included in her rent.
Currently I pay about 6€/day for electricity (only for testing). I have 3 old server with 40 Intel cores and one new with 32 AMD cores. But since I have that I gain about 50 ELO per month.
bob

Post by bob »

Leto wrote:I have a 12 core Intel and an 8 core Intel at my place, and an 8 core AMD at my girlfriend's place. Using the two computers is costing me about $40 to $50 more per month in the United States than when I only had a 4 core Intel (was paying around $40 a month when not in the winter season), and luckily for me my girlfriend's electricity is included in her rent.
What kind of power prices do you have there?

Here, for residential usage, it is under $0.08 (8 cents) per KWH. Assuming 4KWH per day, 30 days in a month, that is 120 x 8 cents which is about $10 bucks...
flok

Post by flok »

bob wrote:
What kind of power prices do you have there?

Here, for residential usage, it is under $0.08 (8 cents) per KWH. Assuming 4KWH per day, 30 days in a month, that is 120 x 8 cents which is about $10 bucks...
Here in the Netherlands it is 0.23 euro cents per kWH.