Shogi

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ferdy

Re: Shogi

Post by Ferdy »

hgm wrote:Well, in any case you should not use 4.7.2 (probably this bug was the reason to release 4.7.3 as a fix). But why not use 4.8.0, which is the latest?
The 4.7.3 is the one you sent to Ito. I will use this version just around this time.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

True, but I assumed you were not developing for UEC8 anymore. Or do you still plan to replace your engine? Next UEC Cup I might send 4.8.1 with the engines.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

hgm wrote:True, but I assumed you were not developing for UEC8 anymore. Or do you still plan to replace your engine? Next UEC Cup I might send 4.8.1 with the engines.
I plan to replace that engine, 15 to 20 hours from now.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Well, if you expect them to install it themselves in WinBoard, better assume that they have absolutely zero idea how WinBoard works, and that the concept that there is something like a separate engine and GUI might already be completely alien to them. So what I prepared for them was a package not unlike the WinBoard mini-Shogi package I host on my website, with suggested install root "C:\Shokidoki-UEC8\", and in that subdirectories WinBoard, Shokidoki, Lima, Nebiyu and TJ. This WinBoard is configured to run the binary "../Lima/Lima_v1-34.exe", which was a rename of the 64-bit POPCNT version you mailed around.

Better send him a file with the same name, so he can simply overwrite it, no matter what the real version of the engine is. Using the Load Engine dialog to let them pick another engine is not a good idea, as the engine list is coming from a mini.ini file that is passed to WinBoard in the command line of the menu item that starts it, which will overrule any settings saved in the user settings file. Plus that saving settings on exit was disabled anyway. I just wanted to minimize the chances that they could mess up the package.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

hgm wrote:Better send him a file with the same name, so he can simply overwrite it, no matter what the real version of the engine is.
This is what I thought too :) .
hgm

Post by hgm »

I thought you would, but you could not know I had altered the name.