Web development: speed

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Henk

Web development: speed

Post by Henk »

I'm currently using MS Express 2012 for Web for development. Perhaps a bad choice. I don't know. But my question is that when I select 'Start Debugging' it starts a browser and when I exit the browser I have to wait at least two minutes before this free visual studio version allows me to edit my source. Is there a way to escape that. I also don't know what it is doing.
sje

Get a Mac, or run Linux

Post by sje »

Get a Mac, or run Linux

You can get a used Macintosh cheap. Any Mac made in the past five years can run the latest Mac OS/X and the development tool chain is free.

Or, install Linux on a partition, or on its own box, and everything is free there as well.
Henk

Re: Get a Mac, or run Linux

Post by Henk »

In Holland there is a saying: cobbler stick to his last. Perhaps a bad translation.

I also have visual studio express 2013 for desktop but that's not for web. So that would be my next choice.
Henk

Re: Web development: speed

Post by Henk »

I already found something in property page I can enable 'edit and continue' . Perhaps that will work.

Can you imagine I am already using this version for a year or more.

Edit: Still doesn't seem to work. Stopping debugging always let me wait these two minutes. Looks like it waits until browser process has really ended, but I don't know.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Already found the solution. I had to remove a hidden .suo file.
Not a good solution for now I lost my per user settings. But it is far less evil.

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStu ... he-problem
Henk

Post by Henk »

Cannot easily rename static helper C# methods in .cshtml files. If I change such a method name I have to check each view (= .cshtml file) to see if it used that method and rename it manually.

But all scripting languages are bad. Perhaps you can only use them two add two numbers, that is small programs only. Scripting languages are usually interpreted and cause unnecessary run time errors.