On-line engine blitz tourney May

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

On-line engine blitz tourney May

Post by hgm »

The monthly on-line engine blitz tourney for May will take place on:

Saturday May 16, 3pm Boston time (21:00 Amsterdam time)

To connect:

winboard -zp -ics -icshost winboard.nl -icshelper timeseal -fcp ENGINE.exe -fd ENGINEFOLDER -autoKibitz

(for UCI engines, add -fUCI)
bob

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney May

Post by bob »

hgm wrote:The monthly on-line engine blitz tourney for May will take place on:

To connect:

winboard -zp -ics -icshost winboard.nl -icshelper timeseal -fcp ENGINE.exe -fd ENGINEFOLDER -autoKibitz

Is your server up all the time? I might be at a point where something like this would be fun. I have totally re-done my parallel search, as well as completely (or nearly more likely) cleaned up all the search code (again).

If it is up I would probably try to connect somewhere along the way today or tomorrow, just to make sure everything works...
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

The intention is to have it up all the time. But the company I rent the VPS from where it runs sometimes reboots the VPS for maintanance, (I guess that is what you get for renting a cheap one...), and I have not rigged it yet so that the ICS starts automatically on reboot. (And this would not keep logged-in clients connected anyway.) This happens only rarely, but when it happens I also don't notice it very rapidly, so then the ICS could be off the air until someone warns me.
brtzsnr

Post by brtzsnr »

By popular demand I compiled a version of YafiPlus https://github.com/mg6maciej/yafi-android that connects to winboard.nl so you can watch the turney games. You'll need to be logged in as guest (the server doesn't allow multiple connections for the same user). The license check was disabled.

The file can be downloaded from https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2uKL ... authuser=0

YafiPlus is a paid application, but Maciej (the author), granted me permissions to distribute it to you for free. If you like the app consider buying (you don't have to) the Google Play version of YafiPlus https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... plus&hl=en to support the author. I already did, it's only 3CHF.

Please let me know if the package works for you.
brtzsnr

Post by brtzsnr »

It appears that HGM is using a newer version of FICS

winboard.nl

Code: Select all

Head admin : admin    Complaints to : NOT_CONFIGURED
Server location: NOT_CONFIGURED    Server version : 2.2.x-DEVEL
Server name : NOT_CONFIGURED
freechess.org

Code: Select all

Webpage: http://www.freechess.org
Head admin : Chessty   Complaints to : complaints@freechess.org
Server location: freechess.org   Server version : 1.25.20
The two versions are very different, and the client cannot parse the server's output correctly. I tried to change the strings but it's too much work for a Saturday afternoon.

Sorry for the false hopes.
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

Actually FICS uses a later version of the code although the version number is lower, it is their private version.
The difference in communication between both versions must be very small because all GUI's I know of that work with FICS work with HGM as well. So it must be a very subtle difference.
Anyway thanks for trying!
brtzsnr

Post by brtzsnr »

It's not subtle. The differences are large. It took me about one hour to get logging to work properly and then it crashed while parsing the moves. At that moment I gave up. One example is that HGM version doesn't recognize the login id guest but still logs you in as guest.
brtzsnr

Post by brtzsnr »

Hi, HGM!

Can you auto-join Zurichess? I will probably return too late to join manually.

Regards,
bob

Post by bob »

To connect:

Tried to register this morning. the caissa email address in "help register" was undeliverable...

I logged in just fine as unregistered.
JVMerlino

Post by JVMerlino »

To connect:

Myrddin has logged in, but I may not be available to join when the tournament starts. Can you join Myrddin for me if it doesn't join right away?

Thanks,
jm