Parallel Search algorithms resources ?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MahmoudUthman

Parallel Search algorithms resources ?

Post by MahmoudUthman »

*Where can I find resource on parallel search algorithms *(not just "difficult & painful to read" research papers) ?
*and has there been no improvement in this field -"I understand it's difficult to parallelizing this search"- in the past 20 years (according to chess programming wiki DTS(1994) has the best known scalability) ?
*what is the best open source engine to study it's code to get a clue of what Parallel search looks like (PS: the likes of stock fish & Crafty are fairly difficult to read "the search part") ?
jdart

Re: Parallel Search algorithms resources ?

Post by jdart »

Do you want something easy to understand and implement, or something that is high performing? It is hard to get both.

--Jon
bob

Post by bob »

jdart wrote:Do you want something easy to understand and implement, or something that is high performing? It is hard to get both.

--Jon
I think it is hard to get EITHER. :)
Edsel Apostol
Full name: Edsel Apostol

Post by Edsel Apostol »

MahmoudUthman wrote:*Where can I find resource on parallel search algorithms *(not just "difficult & painful to read" research papers) ?
*and has there been no improvement in this field -"I understand it's difficult to parallelizing this search"- in the past 20 years (according to chess programming wiki DTS(1994) has the best known scalability) ?
*what is the best open source engine to study it's code to get a clue of what Parallel search looks like (PS: the likes of stock fish & Crafty are fairly difficult to read "the search part") ?
Viper is one of the simple YBWC implementation out there. It's a simplified Glaurung (a pre-cursor to Stockfish).
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

If 100 elo (4 cores vs 1) is enough, then lazy smp is worth trying as it has the best performance/price ratio.
MahmoudUthman

Post by MahmoudUthman »

Jon Dart,Robert Hyatt,Edsel Apostol & Martin Sedlak ,thanks for replying .
jdart wrote:Do you want something easy to understand and implement, or something that is high performing? It is hard to get both.

--Jon
easy to understand would be nice :) .
Edsel Apostol wrote:Viper is one of the simple YBWC implementation out there. It's a simplified Glaurung (a pre-cursor to Stockfish).
mar wrote:If 100 elo (4 cores vs 1) is enough, then lazy smp is worth trying as it has the best performance/price ratio.
thank you I'll check both.