MD v JL

Traditional chess games and chess topics in general

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dan Honeycutt

Re: MD v JL: Gambit declined

Post by Dan Honeycutt »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Dan Honeycutt wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:Martin was manipulated into it. He didn't understand how things are done here until too late.

Derek said you don't have to play him, dropping a hint. Martin may have been a good sport about it but was actually annoyed about the whole thing.
Derek dropped a hint?! You know him. Why didn't you explain things to him?

Best
Dan H.
I tried, but he doesn't always listen well. I should have been more direct and clear with him. You're right about that, Dan.

It's partly my fault.
Okay. The games were interesting. I don't think anybody has anything to feel embarrassed or ashamed about.

Best
Dan H.
Masterbaiter

Post by Masterbaiter »

I personally thought white had more of an advantage than turned out to be the case. Maybe if I had played differently but the black position is very hard to crack no matter what. I'll be happy to play against the McMad any day!
Looking for interesting people to chat with
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

But why do you single out Mcmad? Isn't it just him operating a computer?
Jack Lad

Post by Jack Lad »

S.Taylor wrote:But why do you single out Mcmad? Isn't it just him operating a computer?
Martin was referring to playing as white against the "McMad gambit" not me.
Masterbaiter

Post by Masterbaiter »

Want to play again? I enjoyed that wild opening. If you want to play that line or any others we could try. I really like wild positions
Jack Lad

Post by Jack Lad »

Masterbaiter wrote:Want to play again? I enjoyed that wild opening. If you want to play that line or any others we could try. I really like wild positions
Sure I would. 8-)
I suggest the St George:
[pgn]1. e4 a6[/pgn]

Or any of these unorthodox replies to 1. e4:
1... a5, the Corn Stalk Defence. United States chess player Preston Ware played the Corn Stalk in eleven recorded tournament games from 1880 to 1882, winning four and losing seven.
1... Na6, called the Lemming Defence in Unorthodox Chess Openings, develops the knight to an inferior square. The line has been suggested against some older computers, hoping for 2.Bxa6 bxa6, when Black has the bishop pair and a quick fianchetto as compensation for the doubled pawns. However, Black has no justification for playing 1...Na6 if White avoids this line. In some chess database, this opening actually scores well. For Black!
1... f5 is called the Duras Gambit in Unorthodox Chess Openings, and is also known as the Fred Defence. This is a pawn sacrifice which gives Black a lead in development after 2.exf5 Nf6. The line was played three times in an exhibition match between Ossip Bernstein and Oldřich Duras.
1... f6 is known as the Barnes Defence after Thomas Wilson Barnes. This move is clearly inferior, taking away the f6-square from the knight and weakening Black's kingside, although Barnes managed to defeat Paul Morphy with this defence in 1858.
1... h5, the Goldsmith Defence or Pickering Defence. All this move does is waste a tempo weakening the kingside.
1... h6, called the Carr Defence in Unorthodox Chess Openings. This defence has also been used by Michael Basman, and is likely to transpose to the Borg Defence (after 2.d4 g5).
1... Nh6, the Adams Defence or Wild Bull Defence.
1... b5, the Polish Gambit, simply loses a pawn to 2.Bxb5.

I also would like to test out the Sniper which can lead to the Pteradactyl defence:
http://dev.jeremysilman.com/shop/pc/Sni ... -p3800.htm

Take your pick or maybe you would like to suggest one of your own wild openings. :?
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Martin is away for the weekend, he'll be back Monday to give you a thrashing. Martin is a coffee house player, he really likes to mix it up and play for complications. That's why he's interested in gambits, it's to his advantage.
Terry McCracken
Masterbaiter

Post by Masterbaiter »

The St George sounds good. How about we try the Duras and the Sniper as you want to try that out too?

I think all of these will be better than the McMad!

I am going out of town for two days and probably won't get a chance to reply until Sunday or maybe Monday. Why not start a new there'd and set up the initial positions?

If we play the Duras of course I accept the pawn. Against the St G I move d4. I seem to remember a game years ago where Miles beat Karpov with that line.

Cheers

Martin
gerold

Post by gerold »

Kadas(Marcel Desprez) 1. H4 and the Preston Ware opening 1.A4 can be interesting unorthodox opening.

Hard to have control of the center with these openings.
Jack Lad

Post by Jack Lad »

Masterbaiter wrote:The St George sounds good. How about we try the Duras and the Sniper as you want to try that out too?

I think all of these will be better than the McMad!

I am going out of town for two days and probably won't get a chance to reply until Sunday or maybe Monday. Why not start a new there'd and set up the initial positions?

If we play the Duras of course I accept the pawn. Against the St G I move d4. I seem to remember a game years ago where Miles beat Karpov with that line.

Cheers

Martin
No problem - I will set up three different threads for each game. However I will be going on holiday for a week and won't be able to reply until Saturday the 8th August. The St. George Defence is also known as the Basman Opening, Baker's Defence or Birmingham Defence (after the home town of Tony Miles who defeated Karpov with it in in the 1980 European Team Championship in Skara, Sweden).