What will Komodo score giving two pawns to GM?

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

What will Komodo score in 6 games giving two pawns to GM?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:59 pm

1.5 or less out of 6
11%
2 out of 6
11%
2.5 out of 6
11%
3 out of 6
14%
3.5 out of 6
3%
4 out of 6
22%
4.5 or more out of 6
28%

Total votes: 36

lkaufman

Re: What will Komodo score giving two pawns to GM?

Post by lkaufman »

Laskos wrote:
duncan wrote:
Laskos wrote:My guess is it will be close, with many draws, say 3-4 draws out of 6. In self-play, Komodo needs 1/100 time odds to make for handicap at this time control on one core, meaning 600 ELO points. The estimated value of the handicap increases first in self play, second, with time control, from 400 points at ultra-fast to 600 points at 45'+15''. If Komodo on a strong hardware is reasonably assumed to be 3200 FIDE ELO rating, that would mean a Komodo performance with c2 and f2 pawns handicap to be around 2600 FIDE ELO, a bit higher than the opponent's 2500. I would choose a range 2.5-3.5 points for Komodo in this match, but I voted for 3.5 because it seems I am the only one predicting that score :).
anything you would lime to add now that the results are in.?
That an opening book was necessary and that the black advantage of c2 and f2 handicap is too much positional too, besides material. The computer in self-play doesn't learn an overwhelming opening with forced exchanges. My guess is that varied 2 pawns handicap, not c2 and f2, with an opening book, can stand against a 2500 ELO human in 6 games. But I might well be wrong again, who knows what these GMs are up to :).
We did have an opening book in the final two pawn game, but it was no help, except to avoid a repeat game. I just couldn't find any better moves to put in the book, everything is hopeless. With a different pawn or pawns handicap in each game, I think there isn't much need for a book, as it would be very difficult to find better moves than Komodo can find on its own. Sure, we could save a few minutes thinking time, but that's pretty insignificant. But as long as one of the handicap pawns is the "a" pawn and the other is not the "f" or "g" pawn, Komodo will be competititve with 2500 GM I think.
Komodo rules!