XBoard for Mac: How to run Xiangqi?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JoshPettus

Re: XBoard for Mac: How to run Xiangqi?

Post by JoshPettus »

Yes.. I'm afraid I disabled that in the Xq and Sg apps' plist file, as file types can only be associated with one app at a time and was interfering with my own xboard install. As I wanted to be able to click on a pgn and open up xboard automatically. I just haven't found a good solution...

You're probably the only person to notice :\ To associate those file types with XboardXq, you can copy that section from Xboard.app's plist file and copy it to XboardXq.app's plist file.

Or it's possible to use the command-line

open -a xboardxq.app --args /dir/file.pgn

But if you use such a feature regularly, I admit that would be really cumbersome and I'd recommend the first option.

I admit, I probably haven't thought it through enough. You can right click on file and associate the default app and then apply to all of that type. I mean it's not really a problem for wav files, if you don't want to use itunes...

Tell you what, I'll play with that, and fix sometime later today. I think there was something else going on with app ID, but I have may already fixed that.
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

Few screenshots after I open a pgn file of multi games and manually review moves. I have tried to restart XBoardXq and my computer few times but still see the same problem.

JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Strange...
does re-sizing the board help at all? Either press the green + button or drag one of the bottom corners. I imagine it has something to do with the large comments? I thought it was suppose to put comments in comment window.

Well I fixed the file associations in the apps, if you want to re-download.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/gd76u ... _Intel.dmg

Do you mind posting a couple games that cause the trouble?
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Thanks again for the new upload. It works well :D

Resizing (both zooming in/out) does not help. To clarify: it still displays well for many moves but sometimes wrongly as my attached images.

If I copy / paste only one game into the app, look like it displays well (for all moves). But if I open a pgn file, select any game (I have been playing with few first games) then manually play, it may flick sometimes. Thus I have attached as below the pgn file I am using for testing:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4q713 ... le.pgn.zip
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Perhaps something is weird with the pgn file it doesn't like. I'll take a look at it
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Yeah, those long comments that make the message area display more then one line changes the window size which messes up the display. You have to redraw the board such as by re-sizing the board after it happens.

I don't know, it all seems pretty random to me.... Xboard isn't treating a lot of the comments in the file as comments. Therefor it doesn't throw the message in a comment box instead of the message section. I can't find a good reason why. Harm if you are reading this do you have any insight?

When you copy paste the moves, it doesn't include the comment so you don't have the crazyness with the board
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Comments normally go into the comment window, but the exeption is the 'result comment', which goes with the 1-0, 0-1 or 1/2-1/2. This is displayed with the last move of the game in the 'message widget'. So in this respect the behavior is normal.

The underlying problem is that GTK resizes the height of the message widget when the message does not fit. In Linux it just clips the message, in that case. It is easy to get messages that are too long, they don't have to be comments. PVs, for instance, in general don't fit there either. Does the same thing happen (i.e. multi-line display) when you get a long PV, say from analysing the initial position of normal Chess with Fruit?
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Just change the draw results in pgn file from "1/2-1/2" to "0.5-0.5". Look like XBoard does not understand :(
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

hgm wrote:Does the same thing happen (i.e. multi-line display) when you get a long PV, say from analyzing the initial position of normal Chess with Fruit?
Not that I have seen, It usually clips PV.