Komodo vs GM Martin Petr (2515)

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ferdy

Re: Komodo vs GM Martin Petr (2515)

Post by Ferdy »

Jesse Gersenson wrote:Komodo won the match +3/=3/-0.
Congratz to Komodo team and thanks for organizing this match.
duncan

Post by duncan »

great performance by komodo, thanks for the competition.

how do you think it would have fared with f7 pawn handicap, better , worse, same ?
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

duncan wrote:great performance by komodo, thanks for the competition.

how do you think it would have fared with f7 pawn handicap, better , worse, same ?[/quote

I think f7 handicap is about as big a handicap as the ones used in this match, so probably Komodo would have won this way too although perhaps by not as big a margin. I think it's harder for Komodo to win at f7 handicap but easier to draw.

I expect that at least some of the games in the upcoming match with Movsessian will be at f7 handicap so we'll find out. He is about 140 elo higher rated than Petr.
Komodo rules!
duncan

Post by duncan »

lkaufman wrote:great performance by komodo, thanks for the competition.

how do you think it would have fared with f7 pawn handicap, better , worse, same ?[/quote

I think f7 handicap is about as big a handicap as the ones used in this match, so probably Komodo would have won this way too although perhaps by not as big a margin. I think it's harder for Komodo to win at f7 handicap but easier to draw.

I expect that at least some of the games in the upcoming match with Movsessian will be at f7 handicap so we'll find out. He is about 140 elo higher rated than Petr.
great. looking forward to it. is he the strongest gm every played a handicapped computer ?
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

duncan wrote: great. looking forward to it. is he the strongest gm every played a handicapped computer ?
It depends how you judge strength. He was rated 2751.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

duncan wrote:

great. looking forward to it. is he the strongest gm every played a handicapped computer ?
No, Stockfish played four handicap games with Nakamura (then near 2800 I think), and Rybka played eight handicap games (well, six plus two games at just "White" handicap) against Vadim Milov, then rated a bit over 2700. So he will be the third highest rated player to play such a match.
Komodo rules!
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

f7 is an easy draw for 2800 player, and with enough game and training, and easy win, even vs computer.

maybe more an easy draw for a 2700 player and less an easy win.
duncan

Post by duncan »

lkaufman wrote:
duncan wrote:

No, Stockfish played four handicap games with Nakamura (then near 2800 I think), and Rybka played eight handicap games (well, six plus two games at just "White" handicap) against Vadim Milov, then rated a bit over 2700. So he will be the third highest rated player to play such a match.
if you played milov, what handicap would you offer him and hope to win

http://www.chess.com/news/shock-result- ... bka?page=2
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

duncan wrote:
lkaufman wrote:
duncan wrote:

if you played milov, what handicap would you offer him and hope to win

Well, Milov won the handicap games (some f7, some Exchange) by 4 to 2, a 120 elo margin. Komodo is much more than 120 above Rybka 3 (it leads Rybka 4 by 73 wins to 1 (with 26 draws) in CEGT testing at 40/20), and the computer has three times as many cores now. So on paper Komodo should be a big favorite at these handicaps against Milov (or Movsessian now, they are of similar strength I think). But the problem is that handicap results depend much more on the strength of the weaker player than they do on the strength of the stronger player. If Rybka already outsearched Milov typically by say ten ply, does it really help to look another two ply deeper in a lost position, where there is nothing good to find? Probably it helps a bit, but not by nearly as much as it helps in normal chess. So I would say that these handicaps are pretty fair for Komodo against players of the level of Milov or Movsessian. I don't know which way I would bet.
Komodo rules!
duncan

Post by duncan »

lkaufman wrote: Well, Milov won the handicap games (some f7, some Exchange) by 4 to 2, a 120 elo margin. Komodo is much more than 120 above Rybka 3 (it leads Rybka 4 by 73 wins to 1 (with 26 draws) in CEGT testing at 40/20), and the computer has three times as many cores now. So on paper Komodo should be a big favorite at these handicaps against Milov (or Movsessian now, they are of similar strength I think). But the problem is that handicap results depend much more on the strength of the weaker player than they do on the strength of the stronger player. If Rybka already outsearched Milov typically by say ten ply, does it really help to look another two ply deeper in a lost position, where there is nothing good to find? Probably it helps a bit, but not by nearly as much as it helps in normal chess. So I would say that these handicaps are pretty fair for Komodo against players of the level of Milov or Movsessian. I don't know which way I would bet.

52 points elo difference , although 79 places below milov in world ranking as he was then.

In a recent 8-game match with the silicon monster, Milov (rated a mighty 2705 Elo and ranked 28th among earth-dwelling carbon based life forms) ended the winner by a narrow margin of 4.5-3.5.

https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=310204

rate std. 2653

World (all players): 107

https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=1304364