Evaluation function

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lauriet

Evaluation function

Post by lauriet »

Hey guys,

I recently discovered a bug (ok an amateurs mistake) in my program. The evaluation function will sometimes return a value of greater than 100 (a pawn is worth 100).
Obviously it was playing some dumb moves. Loosing pieces for a perceived positional advantage.
The eval function uses PST, mobility, doubles/backward/isolated pawns, king safety etc, etc. I have positive values for good things like mobility and negative values for bad things like doubled pawns. I was hoping that the negative values would restrain the positive values from increasing too much.
How can i make sure that in ALL combinations of positions I never exceed 100.

:?:
bob

Re: Evaluation function

Post by bob »

lauriet wrote:Hey guys,

I recently discovered a bug (ok an amateurs mistake) in my program. The evaluation function will sometimes return a value of greater than 100 (a pawn is worth 100).
Obviously it was playing some dumb moves. Loosing pieces for a perceived positional advantage.
The eval function uses PST, mobility, doubles/backward/isolated pawns, king safety etc, etc. I have positive values for good things like mobility and negative values for bad things like doubled pawns. I was hoping that the negative values would restrain the positive values from increasing too much.
How can i make sure that in ALL combinations of positions I never exceed 100.

:?:
You can, but you shouldn't. You can always do the ugly

score = Max(Min(score, 100), -100);

But lots of scores SHOULD be > one pawn. King safety. Unstoppable passed pawns. Etc...
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

Would be interesting to try in Stockfish. It would result in a stupidly materialistic eval.

I bet it would be a 100 elo regression, or worse.
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
lauriet

Post by lauriet »

but for the hundred and one positions that should be less than one pawn...........
does everyone check all these positions so that the value < 100
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

lauriet wrote:but for the hundred and one positions that should be less than one pawn...........
nobody does that, it's nonsense. you need to adjust (tune) you eval weights.
easier said than done of course.
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

lauriet wrote:but for the hundred and one positions that should be less than one pawn...........
[D]8/8/7k/P5p1/5pKp/8/8/8 w - - 0 1
The unstoppable passer should be worth much more than two pawns in this case.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

There are plenty of advantages worth more than a Pawn. If you score positional advantages that are worth less than a Pawn above 100, you should simply lower their score, because then apparently you overestimated them.

There is no logic in the idea that 3 advantages each worth half a Pawn should not add up to 1.5 Pawn. In fact if there is anything non-additive there, it would be that advantages amplify each other, rather than saturate.
Daniel Anulliero

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

I think the danger is in a false "> 100 " positionnal advantage , returned by an evaluation function bad tuned .
We can have a positionnal avantage worth more than a pawn if it is a real avantage right? Unless our engine can't win a game positionaly, it'll search only for a material avantage no?
Here is the dificulty:
It need a good eval very well tuned , it's the game of chess programming , it's all the fun for me : playing with the eval (and the search) &#128521;