Soberango 0.00.0 realized.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Luis Babboni

Soberango 0.00.0 realized.

Post by Luis Babboni »

Well, 1st step completed.
Starting from zero knowledge, after 5 months (3 trying to understand what´s the matter included failed attempt to learn C++ and 2 in the making and tests), the very first version of Soberango see the sunlight.
It´s played some games against myself (1500 in chess.com) and in 5/0 blitz is a good opponent. Playing 10 games against the weakest engine I could found: Safrad, won 1, tie 3 and loses 6. :roll:

Site: http://www.luisbtenis.com.ar/Soberango/Soberango.html

Comments:
-Version: 0.00.0 (Very basic winboard engine, just works and for the moment just checked successfully in Arena 3.5 and Arena 3.5.1).
-Options: there isn´t, just plays matchs from the initial position without ponder.
-Searching algorithm: just Mini-Max, no alphabeta.
-Search depth: fixed in 4 plies.
-No time management. In a Phenom 955 3.2MHz, could play Blitz from minimum time 1:30/0 losing by time very rarely.
-Evaluation: just material difference.
-Not detection of 50 moves rules neither 3rd repetition.
-Not show think.
-Known bug: if lose by time, could not start a new game without restart.
-32 bits engine.
-8x8 matrix board representation.
-Wrote in FreeBasic .

Thanks to the forum for the help you give me no matter how noob my questions use to be! :D
cdani

Re: Soberango 0.00.0 realized.

Post by cdani »

Congratulations!! Good luck with it :-)
Luis Babboni

Post by Luis Babboni »

Thanks Daniel!

First tests against other engines.
I take a list from CCRL and started from the bottom.
It seems CCRL test engines in 40 minutes for 40 moves and I testing, cause my anxious, in 5/0 blitz games. But the results are better than I supposued. I´ll post those results later.

But what made me post it is a comical situation I found!!
Playing against RAM, Soberango made an underpromotion... its surprised me, but I understood the cause.... it assumes the promoted will be captured one halfmove later so is the same wich figure promote to and by random choiced a knight!! And then.... surprise, RAM resigns.... cause it "hate underpromotions"!!!! :P

Nice joke by the author! :D

Luis Babboni

Post by Luis Babboni »

I took a list of weakest engines from CCRL and, started from low to high with engines found, Soberango have this results in blitz 5/0 games without books:

*: the ELO is estimated by CCRL playing 40 moves in 40 minutes games so the results are just anecdotal:
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

WOW ! Love it ! THANK YOU !
Jamal Bubker

Post by Jamal Bubker »

Gracias Luis :)
Norbert Raimund Leisner

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner »

Soberango 0.00.3 seems to run stable on ChessGUI, too - but it crashes on Winbaord Interface just after a few plies - no moves are executed on ScidvsPC.

Perhaps you can contact respectively send to him debug-files (about games running Soberango 0.00.3 on WinBoard /ScidvsPC)

Norbert
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

Norbert Raimund Leisner wrote:Soberango 0.00.3 seems to run stable on ChessGUI, too - but it crashes on Winbaord Interface just after a few plies - no moves are executed on ScidvsPC.

Perhaps you can contact respectively send to him debug-files (about games running Soberango 0.00.3 on WinBoard /ScidvsPC)

Norbert
Hi Norbert !

Works perfectly in Arena 3.0 GUI (don't use GUI books and use a TC=x'/game). This week an interesting test will be posted here. The engine has around 410 Elo CCRL 4/40 !
Luis Babboni

Post by Luis Babboni »

Version 0.01.1 realized.
Now with Alpha-Beta instead of just Mini-Max.
This allow it to use search depth fixed in 5 instead of 4 in Blitz 5/0.
http://www.luisbtenis.com.ar/Soberango/Soberango.html

I ended it some days ago but not published cause its not work with random choice between moves with equal evaluation and I did not understood why.
Finally I understood it.
So it lost this capability, the random, but is my next target to give it at least some random again to make it play a little less ugly.
:lol:
Luis Babboni

Post by Luis Babboni »

Thanks for your time Norbert and Sylwy!
Sylwy wrote: ...
The engine has around 410 Elo CCRL 4/40 !
How do you know it?

What is 4/40? 4 minutes for 40 moves? ¿And after move 40?
Last edited by Luis Babboni on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.