HoiChess 0.17.0 sources available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

HoiChess 0.17.0 sources available

Post by Guenther »

During my work for the resurrection of the RWBC chronology I noticed that a newer source than mentioned everywhere is available.
Version 0.17.0 is available here:

http://www.hoicher.de/hoichess/download/

I have no time to compare to older sources, for checking 'if' only the xiangqui code was updated. The time stamps tell all 2016-01-19 even for the chess code,
but that says nothing.

Jim are you still out there? (or whoever will compile it...?)

Guenther
Norbert Raimund Leisner

Re: HoiChess 0.17.0 sources available

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner »

Windows binaries for 32-/64 bit are here: http://www.hoicher.de/hoichess/download/build/

v0.16.x contains multicore-support under Linux, but was not tested by the author for Windows

v0.17.0 (both editions) run successfully under ChessGUI, version win32 with WinBoard Interface too, but after embedding v0.17.0 x64 into WinBoard 4.8.0 - the pc screen (OS: Windows 7 SP1 x64) locked up - a reset of this operation system was necessary!

A particularity for Arena-users is the following fact:

Hoichess 0.17.0 – Arena debug.file

Hoichess is embedded into Arena under WB-protocol with the commandline parameter -x –hashsize32M, but the option "--hashsize 32M" does no longer exist. All adjustments are now possible via the feature hoichess.rc - an example can be found here: share/games/hoichess. The selection of Hoichess must be affected with the option "--source PATH to HOICHESS_RC" . Alternatively you can copy this file into your user profile to hoichess\hoichess.rc, therefore e.g.
C:\Users\Name\.hoichess\hoichess.rc

Another way, if you want to play with the default settings, is to delete the content of the commandline parameter options -x --hashsize 32M or just --hashsize 32M – in both cases Hoichess will be started, otherwise no moves are executed by the engine

> Arena: Engines\Manage\Engine Management\Details

Best wishes,
Norbert
Norbert Raimund Leisner

Can you test please Hoichess 0.17.0 x64 on a Windows OS x64 system
together with WinBoard 4.8.0 http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewt ... 19&t=51528 ?

On my Windows 7 SP1 x64 WinBoard 4.8.0 locks up every time
after embedding Hoichess 0.17.0 x64 etc. and starting a tournament between engines.

Other interfaces like ChessGUI cause no problems.

What are your impressions? I ask you because its author, Holger Ruckdeschel, doesn´t use a Windows-64-bit system and develop the program under Linux.

Norbert
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Does WinBoard lock up or does your computer (i.e. Windows) lockup? Above you said the latter. Which would imply there is something terribly wrong internally to the x64 build of HoiChess, that it can make a computer lock up at all.
Norbert Raimund Leisner

Windows 7 SP1 x64 locks up with the consequence that no other keys
can be executed.

Very strange, because implementation of the same Hoichess Windows x64-binary on ChessGUI is o.k.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Well, if a program contains a bug, anything could expose it. It can be something as inconsequential as sending commands in a different order. (E.g. where one command overwrites something in memory that it should not have overwritten, and which makes the next command fail catastrophically.)

It also seems to be a bug that only affects the Windows compile, as the x64 Linux version apparently works fine under XBoard (which sends exactly the same commands in the same order as WinBoard).