Next Komodo vs. GM handicap match - "Standard chess&quo

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

How will Komodo score in 4 handicap games with Erenburg?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:33 pm

0.5 or less
6%
1 point
6%
1.5 points.
6%
2 points.
18%
2.5 points.
12%
3 points.
53%

Total votes: 17

Ozymandias

Re: Next Komodo vs. GM handicap match - "Standard chess

Post by Ozymandias »

Can we get the game with evals, times and depths?
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Ozymandias wrote:First game for Komodo. It looks like Yermolinsky wasn't up to date on the dynamics of the match. He didn't know how much time was left, that Erenburg was allowed bathroom breaks, how much were the prizes for him, whether the game had ended...
Second game also won by Komodo. Bishops of opposite color endgame plus rooks arose with two extra pawns for Komodo, but one was a rather useless doubled pawn so there was some danger of a draw. For a while Komodo couldn't make progress, but finally found a way forward.
Komodo rules!
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Larry: it has to be somewhat bothersome to manually input and output the moves in 3+1 time format.

Can you reveal average depth in middlegame/endgame.
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

lkaufman wrote:
Jesse Gersenson wrote:
JJJ wrote:Question : I m 1770 player on 3 min or 1 min on lichess. Wich engines play the same level at me ? Wich engine should I pick on CCRL for exemple ?
Try Komodo, start with depth 1. That should be easy. Then try depth 2. Depth 3 will be too tough. Also, you could try Queen odds and set contempt to 700. Or try rook odds with contempt set to 400.
I don't think Contempt settings should be that high; they will likely just cause bad chess moves to be played. Based on his rating, Contempt should be something like 100 to 120, but if Komodo is giving rook odds maybe 200 or so is reasonable. Queen odds is only for really weak players, unless you are talkiing about bullet (or near-bullet) chess.

The problem with playing Komodo at fixed depth is that if the setting is "fair" for a human, it will play much stronger than the human in the middle game and much weaker in the endgame. A super-fast time setting like game in one second plus .01" increment should in theory be better, but I don't think most GUIs will allow this, and even if they do overhead will mess it up. Maybe we should offer a setting that just spins idly for 99% of the time, for example. Does any engine/GUI do this?
My rating is 1770 and I've played 50+ Rook or Queen odds-games against Komodo. The problem with rook odds is almost never win.

Queen odds is an easy win. BUT, with high contempt settings the games get interesting and I lose or draw 10-20% of games and the chess is fun.

Bad chess moves are the MO for 1770.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Nordlandia wrote:Larry: it has to be somewhat bothersome to manually input and output the moves in 3+1 time format.

Can you reveal average depth in middlegame/endgame.
Well, it's only 3' + 1" for one side, so not so bad. I usually enter the moves in pairs after Komodo moves.

Average depth looks like somewhere around 20 in middlegame, maybe 25 or so in the endgame. Of course it varies quite a bit.
Komodo rules!
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Jesse Gersenson wrote:
lkaufman wrote:
Jesse Gersenson wrote:
JJJ wrote:Question : I m 1770 player on 3 min or 1 min on lichess. Wich engines play the same level at me ? Wich engine should I pick on CCRL for exemple ?
Try Komodo, start with depth 1. That should be easy. Then try depth 2. Depth 3 will be too tough. Also, you could try Queen odds and set contempt to 700. Or try rook odds with contempt set to 400.
I don't think Contempt settings should be that high; they will likely just cause bad chess moves to be played. Based on his rating, Contempt should be something like 100 to 120, but if Komodo is giving rook odds maybe 200 or so is reasonable. Queen odds is only for really weak players, unless you are talkiing about bullet (or near-bullet) chess.

The problem with playing Komodo at fixed depth is that if the setting is "fair" for a human, it will play much stronger than the human in the middle game and much weaker in the endgame. A super-fast time setting like game in one second plus .01" increment should in theory be better, but I don't think most GUIs will allow this, and even if they do overhead will mess it up. Maybe we should offer a setting that just spins idly for 99% of the time, for example. Does any engine/GUI do this?
My rating is 1770 and I've played 50+ Rook or Queen odds-games against Komodo. The problem with rook odds is almost never win.

Queen odds is an easy win. BUT, with high contempt settings the games get interesting and I lose or draw 10-20% of games and the chess is fun.

I would suggest queen for knight (b1) odds, with a reasonable conempt setting like 200. If you have to set Contempt to some ridiculously high value to win, you might as well play Fritz 6 or some ancient Crafty version. The challenge is to beat Komodo using whatever Contempt setting is best for Komodo at the chosen handicap. If queen for knight isn't enough, try rook plus knight (a1 + b1).
Komodo rules!
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

lkaufman wrote:
Jesse Gersenson wrote:
lkaufman wrote:
Jesse Gersenson wrote:

I would suggest queen for knight (b1) odds, with a reasonable conempt setting like 200. If you have to set Contempt to some ridiculously high value to win, you might as well play Fritz 6 or some ancient Crafty version. The challenge is to beat Komodo using whatever Contempt setting is best for Komodo at the chosen handicap. If queen for knight isn't enough, try rook plus knight (a1 + b1).
Ok, will try those handicaps. Setting the 'contempt ridiculously high', in my case of queen odds and contempt of 400-700, increased Komodo's winning percentage. I'll log the games from now on.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Third game drawn by repetition. White was slightly better, Komodo had no way to make progress as Black. Score 2.5 to 0.5. Last game in 20 min.
Komodo rules!
Dan Cooper

Post by Dan Cooper »

What was the final decision on contempt setting? I skimmed, but didn't see it posted.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Laskos wrote:
All in all almost 600 ELO (notice, computer ELO) handicap compared to full Komodo. Means probably 400 human ELO points handicap. Assuming 3250 human ELO for 24 core full Komodo, it means around 2850 human ELO level for Komodo. Human is expected to score a bit less than 1 point , so I would bet on one draw, two draws would be an over-performance by human. A lot might depend on how the openings are handled.
Ended with one draw, the above estimation and prediction was spot on.