Cute Chess 0.9.4 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ferdy

Re: Cute Chess 0.9.4 released

Post by Ferdy »

ilari wrote:There was still a really nasty bug causing crashes in tournaments so I've made a bugfix release for 64-bit Windows and Linux: https://github.com/cutechess/cutechess/ ... /gui-0.9.4

There's also a bonus feature - support for the "UCI_Variant" UCI option.
Suggestion:
After pressing window->active games, don't show game that was already decided.

Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Would it be possible to use two different polyglot books as in cutechess-cli, where this is an engine option?

Guenther
ilari

Post by ilari »

Guenther wrote:Would it be possible to use two different polyglot books as in cutechess-cli, where this is an engine option?

Guenther
Technically yes, and Polyglot book is an engine option also in the GUI. But it was easier to design the UI like it is currently. After v1.0 we'll make it possible to set time control and Polyglot book independently for each engine.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

ilari wrote:There was still a really nasty bug causing crashes in tournaments so I've made a bugfix release for 64-bit Windows and Linux: https://github.com/cutechess/cutechess/ ... /gui-0.9.4

There's also a bonus feature - support for the "UCI_Variant" UCI option.
There seems to be a problem the way cute chess parses the zh epd line. It changes the format of on-hand pieces,

from,

Code: Select all

r1bq1b1r/ppppk1pp/5n2/6N1/1P2P2n/8/P1P2P1P/R1BQ1K1R[PPPNpb] w - -
to,

r1bq1b1r/ppppk1pp/5n2/6N1/1P2P2n/8/P1P2P1P/R1BQ1K1R[N3Pbp] w - -
Winboard as well as TJchess and Imortal (the engines I tried so far) understands that this should be [PPPNpb].

BTW I downloaded and compiled the source around an hour ago.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Indeed, the CECP FENs are based on the bFEN standard. (Except that the pieces in hand are enclosed by [] brackets, rather than added as an extra rank to the board after a / slash, because the latter could cause ambiguity in the board size. XBoard does understand pure bFEN on input, however.) In bFEN all pieces in hand have to be written separately; they cannot be grouped by giving a numeric count.

Counting is needlessly complex anyway. There are hardly ever more than 2 pieces of the same in hand, so the savings on the length of the average FEN are minute. So it just complicates the code people would have to write for FEN parsing.
ilari

Post by ilari »

hgm wrote:Indeed, the CECP FENs are based on the bFEN standard. (Except that the pieces in hand are enclosed by [] brackets, rather than added as an extra rank to the board after a / slash, because the latter could cause ambiguity in the board size. XBoard does understand pure bFEN on input, however.) In bFEN all pieces in hand have to be written separately; they cannot be grouped by giving a numeric count.

Counting is needlessly complex anyway. There are hardly ever more than 2 pieces of the same in hand, so the savings on the length of the average FEN are minute. So it just complicates the code people would have to write for FEN parsing.
Is this "bFEN" documented somewhere? I don't see any mention of it anywhere, not even the Xboard protocol specs. And how did it become a standard?

I can of course easily change this bit in the FEN output.
gbtami

Post by gbtami »

ilari wrote:
hgm wrote:Indeed, the CECP FENs are based on the bFEN standard. (Except that the pieces in hand are enclosed by [] brackets, rather than added as an extra rank to the board after a / slash, because the latter could cause ambiguity in the board size. XBoard does understand pure bFEN on input, however.) In bFEN all pieces in hand have to be written separately; they cannot be grouped by giving a numeric count.

Is this "bFEN" documented somewhere? I don't see any mention of it anywhere, not even the Xboard protocol specs. And how did it become a standard?

I can of course easily change this bit in the FEN output.
http://bughousedb.com/Lieven_BPGN_Standard.txt
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

ilari wrote:I can of course easily change this bit in the FEN output.
At the time when I implemented it in WinBoard I think I even found it in the Wikipedia. Now Google gives me only this hit:

http://bughousechess.wz.cz/CompleteBugh ... sRules.htm

I must admit that I have always had my doubts how 'standard' this standard really is. But it seemed a reasonable format, except for using '/' for both seperating board ranks and board from holdings.
ilari

Post by ilari »

SzG wrote:May I suggest to write Elo instead of ELO? It is a name, not an acronym.
Thanks, I just changed it.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

SzG wrote:Where does Cute Chess store engine information? I installed an engine as WB then noticed that it is UCI and I would like to change that manually.
The file itself is called engines.json and is plain ascii (like log or ini files).
The place depends on what OS you are using.
In WIN 7 it is in:

\Users\(Username)\AppData\Roaming\cutechess
(Note that AppData by default is a hidden folder)

Guenther