Cute Chess 0.9.4 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Cute Chess 0.9.4 released

Post by hgm »

Sure. My point was that it is the wrong place to implement it. Never try to fix an problem in another place than were the problem lies.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

It is convenient for me to implement it.
ilari

Post by ilari »

Werewolf wrote:Hi,

Thanks for answering.

I've loaded a pgn testsuite of short lines of 100 openings.

I want to play 2 engines against each other with each opening played twice (once for each side). I've selected:

- Round Robin
- Play each opening twice (tick!)
- depth set to 20 plies, although all the lines are shorter than that (is that ok?)

What do I put for:
- games per encounter?
- rounds?

I just want it to play out the pgn file.
Normally you would set "games per encounter" to 2 to play each opening twice. But in a two-player tournament you can also keep it at 1 and set "rounds" to an even number. The total number of games in a two-player tournament will be "games per encounter" multiplied by "rounds".
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

ilari wrote:

Thanks for answering.

I want to play 2 engines against each other with each opening played twice (once for each side). I've selected:

- Round Robin
- depth set to 20 plies, although all the lines are shorter than that (is that ok?)

What do I put for:
- games per encounter?
- rounds?

Normally you would set "games per encounter" to 2 to play each opening twice. But in a two-player tournament you can also keep it at 1 and set "rounds" to an even number. The total number of games in a two-player tournament will be "games per encounter" multiplied by "rounds".
Thank you.

On a P.C with many cores, to speed up testing would I change "games per encounter" to total number of cores minus 1?

So far I've got cutechess stable at 10 games per encounter but at higher numbers it crashes.
Ferdy

Re: Cute Chess 0.9.4.1828

Post by Ferdy »

Cute chess will not quit.

1. Imortal is a zh engine, cute chess will not display this when the variant you selected is atomic.
2. I will let cute chess display Imortal by modifying the engines.json file, adding atomic in the variant entry.
3. Open cute chess, select game->new to play with Imortal
4. Select atomic variant, select cpu black
5. Imortal can now be selected from a list of atomic engines
6. Click Ok to play with it.
7. Cute chess will not display the expected board
8. Press quit, it will not quit.

Found this behavior when I attempted to let cute chess display some old engines that do not support WB feature command.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Werewolf wrote:
ilari wrote:

Thanks for answering.

- Round Robin

What do I put for:
- games per encounter?
- rounds?

Thank you.

On a P.C with many cores, to speed up testing would I change "games per encounter" to total number of cores minus 1?

So far I've got cutechess stable at 10 games per encounter but at higher numbers it crashes.
Is your machine really 24 (physical) cores or just 12 with HT enabled?
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Guenther wrote:
Werewolf wrote:
ilari wrote:

Thanks for answering.

- Round Robin

What do I put for:
- games per encounter?
- rounds?

Thank you.

Is your machine really 24 (physical) cores or just 12 with HT enabled?
24 physical cores. HT is OFF.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Werewolf wrote:
ilari wrote:

Thanks for answering.

- Round Robin

What do I put for:
- games per encounter?
- rounds?

Thank you.

To speed up testing utilizing more cores.

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Ferdy wrote:
Werewolf wrote:
ilari wrote:

Thanks for answering.

- Round Robin

What do I put for:
- games per encounter?
- rounds?

Thank you.

To speed up testing utilizing more cores.

Thanks, very helpful. I've used these settings and they've worked.

However, I also have come across a bug. Using exactly the same settings I changed the time control to 10 seconds per move (previously it was on blitz) and started a new tournament.

There were instances of both engines having their clocks run down at once, the board would suddenly switch, darting between one game and the next and so on. Very strange. I lowered concurrency to 12 but it did not help. Is "time per move" section working properly?
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Werewolf wrote:However, I also have come across a bug. Using exactly the same settings I changed the time control to 10 seconds per move (previously it was on blitz) and started a new tournament.

There were instances of both engines having their clocks run down at once, the board would suddenly switch, darting between one game and the next and so on. Very strange. I lowered concurrency to 12 but it did not help. Is "time per move" section working properly?
I just tried it and there are a lot of time forfeits, probably because some engines do not provide time margin for this type of TC. To minimize time forfeit, add time margin of 100 ms. If there are still forfeit, increase it to say 200ms.