Single threaded or simplified version of stockfish ?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MahmoudUthman

Single threaded or simplified version of stockfish ?

Post by MahmoudUthman »

is there any single threaded"search" version of stock fish to study it's source or just a simplified version with all the advanced "difficult " stuff removed ?
CheckersGuy

Re: Single threaded or simplified version of stockfish ?

Post by CheckersGuy »

I dont know whether such a Version of stockfish actually exists but I was told that http://www.tckerrigan.com/Chess/TSCP/ is a simple open source engine with a Basic implementation of a search algorithm. I have to admit that I havent had the time to take a look at it :lol:
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

If you are looking for an engine to learn from, Stockfish might be jumping the gun. TSCP is an excellent starting resource. It is where I began my journey.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

AndrewGrant wrote:If you are looking for an engine to learn from, Stockfish might be jumping the gun. TSCP is an excellent starting resource. It is where I began my journey.
Agreed, Deuterium starts from this engine and all the vairants that followed. Couple of weeks ago I implemented the crazyhouse variant in it. A very good sparring partner for players that started to learn the game.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

CheckersGuy wrote:I dont know whether such a Version of stockfish actually exists but I was told that http://www.tckerrigan.com/Chess/TSCP/ is a simple open source engine with a Basic implementation of a search algorithm. I have to admit that I havent had the time to take a look at it :lol:
TSCP has a bit of a weird board representation, however, switching between 8x8 and a larger board all the time.

So KingSlayer would probably be a better starting point. The source code is more elaborate commented as well.
Robert Pope

Post by Robert Pope »

hgm wrote:
CheckersGuy wrote:I dont know whether such a Version of stockfish actually exists but I was told that http://www.tckerrigan.com/Chess/TSCP/ is a simple open source engine with a Basic implementation of a search algorithm. I have to admit that I havent had the time to take a look at it :lol:
TSCP has a bit of a weird board representation, however, switching between 8x8 and a larger board all the time.

So KingSlayer would probably be a better starting point. The source code is more elaborate commented as well.
How strong is KingSlayer, relative to microMax or TSCP? I don't see it tested on CCRL at all.
MahmoudUthman

Post by MahmoudUthman »

thank you all for your suggestion , but my engine is already past this point , it wins all of the time against TSCP ,most of the time against MicroMax ... , etc. ,
I needed a stripped down version of SF to test my engine against "using the same features" , anyway I managed to strip down SF7 source code to what I need .
hgm wrote:So KingSlayer would probably be a better starting point. The source code is more elaborate commented as well.
I tested it today against my engine , they were evenly match , white always win , how much to you estimate it's elo to be on "CCRL" ?

*by the way two small question
1-should I ignore king and pawns "all types : push , capture , promote ,en-passant" moves while calculating mobility ?
2-When one side is in check should I calculate mobility as usual and apply the usual weights or should I use different weights for the checked side or set mobility to zero.