WinBoard-AA beta release

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: WinBoard-AA beta release

Post by hgm »

I uploaded an updated version of the WinBoard-AA package (to the same link as before). This contains a new winboard.exe, which now also allows using the 'Make Persistent' button on engines selected from the list through the Startup Dialog. (In the previous version this only worked for engines selected through the Load Engine dialogs.) Even on engines selected from the command line with the -fe or -se options (which also refer to the list) it should now work. And it prints an error message when it did not work because the applicable engine is not in the Engine List.

In addition it fixes a bug I just discovered in the highlighting of the first 32 games of the Game List (which sort of randomly highlighted a game in the second 32 instead).

It also contains an improved UCI2WB, which does not attempt to change the options of the UCI engine when the user requests that (through the GUI Engine Settings dialog) while it is searching, but decently stops the search before setting the option, and then restarts it (for pondering and analysis), or postpones setting the option until the search finishes of its own accord (when thinking).
styx

Post by styx »

nice! will xboard also get the update?

thank you :)
hgm

Post by hgm »

SzG wrote:I thought of that 'Save'. Now I understand that Save is for UCI engines, Make Persistent is for WB engines.
Make Persistent works for ALL engines, because in that case WinBoard does the saving. The Polyglot Save button is only there when you use Polyglot, and Polyglot can only handle UCI engines that play orthodox Chess. When you run UCI engines without using Polyglot, the Save button will have disappeared as well, and Make Persistent would be the only way to save their settings.
hgm

Post by hgm »

styx wrote:nice! will xboard also get the update?
Sure, in fact this is where I originally developed it. (Which is why I overlooked the fact that engines from the list could be loaded through the Startup Dialog of WinBoard.) The sources of both the XBoard/WinBoard and the UCI2WB I used in this package are both in the hgm.nubati.net repository.
styx

Post by styx »

As far as I can tell, it's flawless!

I like the "make persistent" option for engines like "Rodent II". Very handy. Thank you! :)
Carlos777

Post by Carlos777 »

I just downloaded Winboard AA. I am trying to install an engine via Engine > Load First Engine, but when I click on the 3 dots button to select the executable, WB closes.
I can add engines editing the list, which is a bit tedious, but it works for me.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Strange. For me this works. The Load Engine, Tournament Options and Board Themes dialogs are the only dialogs that are generated by the same routine as the Engine Settings dialogs, and I did make a small change in the read-out of the latter to intercept the Make Persistent button. So there could be a relation.

This code would only be active when you press the OK button of the Load Engine dialog, though. Pressing the '...' button should just start up the standard Windows File Selector.

What version of Windows are you using, and which folder did you install WinBoard in?

Did you do anything before this in the same session (e.g. opening the Engine Settings dialog for another engine)? Perhaps there is a collission in event numbers of the buttons, that with some sequence of events it confuses the Make Persist button of one dialog with the browse button of another.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

hgm wrote:Strange. For me this works. The Load Engine, Tournament Options and Board Themes dialogs are the only dialogs that are generated by the same routine as the Engine Settings dialogs, and I did make a small change in the read-out of the latter to intercept the Make Persistent button. So there could be a relation.

When exactly does WinBoard close? When you press the OK button of the Load Engine dialog?

What version of Windows are you using, and which folder did you install WinBoard in?
I just want to add that it works here in Win7 Ultimate 64 in a new folder at C:\ (being admin)
Carlos777

Post by Carlos777 »

hgm wrote: What version of Windows are you using, and which folder did you install WinBoard in?
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64 bits. I unzipped it at C:\ (just tried moving it to D:\ and run WB as admin, it is the same)
Carlos777

Post by Carlos777 »

As I reinstalled Windows 7, it seems there were some updates to install. After the update, WB AA is working fine. The strange thing was the 4.6.2 and 4.8.0b versions had no problems without those updates.