WinBoard-AA beta release

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

styx

Re: WinBoard-AA beta release

Post by styx »

thank you :)
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

I found a bug : when I play a crazyhouse game, the promotion always make a queen (even when changing the option "Always Queen").
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Vinvin wrote:I found a bug : when I play a crazyhouse game, the promotion always make a queen (even when changing the option "Always Queen").
I guess you have the same problem I had a month ago ;-)
Because the answer and how to change the behaviour is buried deep in the huge crazyhouse tournaments thread,
I give the link for the threaded view. Here you can follow easier what happened and why.

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 50&t=61363
Vinvin

Post by Vinvin »

Guenther wrote:
Vinvin wrote:I found a bug : when I play a crazyhouse game, the promotion always make a queen (even when changing the option "Always Queen").
Because the answer and how to change the behaviour is buried deep in the huge crazyhouse tournaments thread,
I give the link for the threaded view. Here you can follow easier what happened and why.

Too many messages. Is there a solution ? I will operate SF to play a match vs a top human this Saturday ...
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Vinvin wrote:
Guenther wrote:

Too many messages. Is there a solution ? I will operate SF to play a match vs a top human this Saturday ...
hgm wrote:
That is strange. Are you using click-click moving or drag-drop moving? With drag-drop the piece you are draggig should change Q->N->B->R->Q... approximately every half square you draw it backwards. (Although in Crazyhouse the order could be different.) With click-click you can make a non-stationary second click, pressing the mouse button on the square, and then moving the mouse vertically to see the identity of the promotion piece change in place. (And then release when you see the piece you want.)

You do have 'Animate dragging' switched on? As soon as you pick upa second-rank Pawn it should already morph into a Queen (indicating you will get a Queen if you move it forward).

BTW, the old promotion popup still exists; a persistent option -sweepPromotions true|false decides whether you get the popup or select the piece by mouse movement.

Thanks HG. It was the dragging animation setting that was off.
I didn't know that it was necessary for this. It works now.

I guess I need to read the full manual now after all the years.
1. you have to set the 'Animate Dragging' option to true (general options)
2. then moving/dragging the piece backwards with the mouse vertically it transforms through all possible promotion pieces, if you get the right one release it.
Vinvin

Post by Vinvin »

Guenther wrote:
Vinvin wrote:
Guenther wrote:

hgm wrote:
That is strange. Are you using click-click moving or drag-drop moving? With drag-drop the piece you are draggig should change Q->N->B->R->Q... approximately every half square you draw it backwards. (Although in Crazyhouse the order could be different.) With click-click you can make a non-stationary second click, pressing the mouse button on the square, and then moving the mouse vertically to see the identity of the promotion piece change in place. (And then release when you see the piece you want.)

You do have 'Animate dragging' switched on? As soon as you pick upa second-rank Pawn it should already morph into a Queen (indicating you will get a Queen if you move it forward).

BTW, the old promotion popup still exists; a persistent option -sweepPromotions true|false decides whether you get the popup or select the piece by mouse movement.

Thanks HG. It was the dragging animation setting that was off.
I didn't know that it was necessary for this. It works now.

I guess I need to read the full manual now after all the years.
1. you have to set the 'Animate Dragging' option to true (general options)
2. then moving/dragging the piece backwards with the mouse vertically it transforms through all possible promotion pieces, if you get the right one release it.
Thanks ! It works !
Evert

Post by Evert »

hgm wrote:
JoshPettus wrote:Will UCI2WB be replacing Polyglot in the future? Should I nix Polyglot in future OSX xboard releases?
I think this is a logical development, because Polyglot does not support variants, and UCI engines for variants now start to appear. But we must be sure that UCI2WB is a worthy replacement, and does not lack any features that Polyglot has.
It just occurred to me that polyglot can play from book for UCI engines that expect the GUI to do this for them. Does UCI2WB have this feature?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

No. I consider handling book a GUI or engine task. Not a protocol translation.
Evert

Post by Evert »

hgm wrote:No. I consider handling book a GUI or engine task. Not a protocol translation.
I agree.
However, it seems that UCI was originally designed with the assumption that the GUI would handle the opening book. Polyglot has the option to take care of this because Xboard was not originally designed around this same philosophy.
I don't particularly care about this myself, but others might.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Evert wrote:However, it seems that UCI was originally designed with the assumption that the GUI would handle the opening book.
Not really. There is a standard UCI option OwnBook to decide whether the engine or the GUI book should be used. So UCI clearly assumes both the engine and the GUI have a book.