about entering in pawn endgame

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Daniel Anulliero

about entering in pawn endgame

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

I noticed many time Isa has trouble when entering in a pawns endgame and , many time it lost.
I tried many time to extend the depth when entering in pawn endgame but it never works.
So , I got an idea : increase the pawn structure bonuses and penalities when we are in a pawn endgame (for exemple by a factor of 2 or 1.5 or..)
Some quick test show Isa now refuse to trade his pieces when his pawn structure is not very good .
Of course I need to test it with many games

What do you think ?
Isa download :
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Re: about entering in pawn endgame

Post by Sven »

In general a good idea. It sounds like tapered eval which should "solve" that already. Are you using it?

Furthermore, I think the scoring of passed pawns is quite important for pawn endgames. This is also a weakness of Jumbo ...
Henk

Post by Henk »

Isolated d-pawn is not bad in opening but surely in endgame.
Daniel Anulliero

Sven Schüle wrote:In general a good idea. It sounds like tapered eval which should "solve" that already. Are you using it?

Furthermore, I think the scoring of passed pawns is quite important for pawn endgames. This is also a weakness of Jumbo ...
Ok , testing now ,pawn structure * 2 if we are in pawns endgames (but maybe coefficient 2 is too high?)
Yes I use tapered eval but I think it can't resolve a lot of situations for pawns endgames and sure , evaluation of passers is very important .....
And of course ,very dificult to tune correctly and is also a weakness in Isa too :wink:
Isa download :
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

I ramp up a couple of my pawn evaluations as end game approaches. Mainly, all bonuses associated with past pawns. It was a recent change, found about a fair chunk of elo in it.

Just make sure you are using a tapered eval. Suddenly doubling pawn related bonuses between 1 or 2 moves is sure to cause problems.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
Daniel Anulliero

AndrewGrant wrote:I ramp up a couple of my pawn evaluations as end game approaches. Mainly, all bonuses associated with past pawns. It was a recent change, found about a fair chunk of elo in it.

Just make sure you are using a tapered eval. Suddenly doubling pawn related bonuses between 1 or 2 moves is sure to cause problems.
Ok test stopped ... It played worse so restart in to think about others improvments :)
Thanks to your answers
Isa download :
Henk

Post by Henk »

According to Lyudmil Tsvetkov playing style is most important. So it may not matter if ELO is worse. Otherwise you get another Stockfish and what can be worse than that.