Windows 10 slowdown after anniversary update

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

kdjones

Windows 10 slowdown after anniversary update

Post by kdjones »

My chess engine slowed down significantly after the Windows 10 anniversary update in August 2016. Based on 20 benchmark positions run single threaded to a fixed depth, the slowdown was 44 +/- 5 % across the set. At first I was able to mitigate the slowdown by turning off Cortana, but after several more updates, the slowdown is back and Cortana is not running.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? I run on an Intel Core I3-4130 @ 3.4 GHz. My chess engine is compiled under GCC C++ with optimization level 3.

The NPS has dropped from 2.2M to 1.3M

Any thoughts as to cause?
Zenmastur

Re: Windows 10 slowdown after anniversary update

Post by Zenmastur »

kdjones wrote:My chess engine slowed down significantly after the Windows 10 anniversary update in August 2016. Based on 20 benchmark positions run single threaded to a fixed depth, the slowdown was 44 +/- 5 % across the set. At first I was able to mitigate the slowdown by turning off Cortana, but after several more updates, the slowdown is back and Cortana is not running.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? I run on an Intel Core I3-4130 @ 3.4 GHz. My chess engine is compiled under GCC C++ with optimization level 3.

The NPS has dropped from 2.2M to 1.3M

Any thoughts as to cause?
Start resource monitor, click the CPU tab and then sort by "average CPU" to find which app is eating all your CPU cycles. If "average CPU" doesn't show up, right click just below the process bar in any empty area, then select "select columns" and then check the appropriate box.

Then go buy a faster CPU :D

Regards,

Forrest
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
elpapa
Full name: Patrik Karlsson

Re: Windows 10 slowdown after anniversary update

Post by elpapa »

Is it your engine only that is slower?

Have you tried other engines/benchmarks? Have you tried different versions of your own engine compiled before and after the Windows update? Or maybe a GCC update? What does the performance monitor show?