Mini shogi engines and rating list

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Evert

Re: Mini shogi engines and rating list

Post by Evert »

Ok, I figured out a way to make the issues I see when running under Wine go away.

Could you check out the archive at http://www.eglebbk.dds.nl/program/downl ... ressed.zip? It contains two binaries, one with the fix (sjaakii-706M-win64-sse42.exe) and one without (sjaakii-706-win64-sse42.exe). Just feed them the following input and let me know if they behave differently (in particular, I hope the first one works correctly and the second one doesn't):

Code: Select all

prompt off
board off
variant minishogi

force
Gc2
Bc4
Gb2
Sd4
Bc2
Rb5
Sd2
Ra5
Rc1
Rb5
Ga3
Be2
Bb3
Gc5
Rxc5+
Rxc5
Gb4
Bd1+
Bxd1
R@c1
G@b1
Rxd1+
Gxc5
B@b2
Kxb2
+Rxd2
Ka1
Sxc5
B@b2
S@d4
R@b5
G@d5
B@a5
+Rd3
Be1+
Sc4
Rb4+
+Re3
+Bd1
board
go
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Evert wrote:Ok, I figured out a way to make the issues I see when running under Wine go away.

Could you check out the archive at http://www.eglebbk.dds.nl/program/downl ... ressed.zip? It contains two binaries, one with the fix (sjaakii-706M-win64-sse42.exe) and one without (sjaakii-706-win64-sse42.exe). Just feed them the following input and let me know if they behave differently (in particular, I hope the first one works correctly and the second one doesn't):

Code: Select all

prompt off
board off
variant minishogi

force
Gc2
Bc4
Gb2
Sd4
Bc2
Rb5
Sd2
Ra5
Rc1
Rb5
Ga3
Be2
Bb3
Gc5
Rxc5+
Rxc5
Gb4
Bd1+
Bxd1
R@c1
G@b1
Rxd1+
Gxc5
B@b2
Kxb2
+Rxd2
Ka1
Sxc5
B@b2
S@d4
R@b5
G@d5
B@a5
+Rd3
Be1+
Sc4
Rb4+
+Re3
+Bd1
board
go
This one sjaakii-706-win64-sse42.exe works.
In tournament test, it seems to work fine so far with only 1 winboard crash out of 35 games :!:
Evert

Post by Evert »

Ferdy wrote: This one sjaakii-706-win64-sse42.exe works.
Really? That's the one without the fix. I included it just to be sure (I use a different tool-chain to compile than Martin does for the official release).
In tournament test, it seems to work fine so far with only 1 winboard crash out of 35 games :!:
You're easily satisfied! What was the reason for the crash?
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Evert wrote:
Really? That's the one without the fix. I included it just to be sure (I use a different tool-chain to compile than Martin does for the official release).
Yes it is true that exe works fine in console and winboard.
Evert wrote:
You're easily satisfied! What was the reason for the crash?
Test was completed with 60 blitz games, only 1 winboard crash.

I don't know the reason for the crash, and I am not interested in investigating it further, I already reported problems of Sjaak and winboard in the past.
Evert

Post by Evert »

Ferdy wrote:
Evert wrote:
Does the other one work?
I don't know the reason for the crash, and I am not interested in investigating it further, I already reported problems of Sjaak and winboard in the past.
Ok, look.
I don't have Windows. I don't have WinBoard. I can't debug problems that occur under Windows myself. A bug report that amounts to "it doesn't work" is not useful. However, I care about fixing bugs and problems that people run into. Quite frankly, you're not being very helpful and you're not making it easier.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Evert wrote:
Ferdy wrote:
Evert wrote:
Does the other one work?
Ok, look.
I don't have Windows. I don't have WinBoard. I can't debug problems that occur under Windows myself. A bug report that amounts to "it doesn't work" is not useful. However, I care about fixing bugs and problems that people run into. Quite frankly, you're not being very helpful and you're not making it easier.
I would suggest you try to secure a windows system. It useless to report problems with your buggy program where I run it on windows. And here you are trying to fix under different operating system, asking too much questions until you are satisfied.
Evert

Post by Evert »

Ferdy wrote: I would suggest you try to secure a windows system.
I'm not made of money.
It useless to report problems with your buggy program where I run it on windows. And here you are trying to fix under different operating system, asking too much questions until you are satisfied.
I regret your attitude.
I cannot fix bugs that I do not know about, so any and all bug reports are welcome. It would be helpful, however, if you could at least let me know if the time I invest in fixing a bug you encounter was spent productively. A plain and simple yes or no will do.

So did you try sjaakii-706M-win64-sse42.exe at all, or not?
GregNeto

Post by GregNeto »

I followed your instruction: In both versions "promt off" leads to an error ("Illegal move or unknown command") After typing in the rest the Version with M stalls; typing another "go" leads to "Sb3"; in the version without "M" after go there is normal Output

Regards Greg
Evert

Post by Evert »

GregNeto wrote:I followed your instruction: In both versions "promt off" leads to an error ("Illegal move or unknown command")
Did you type "promt" or "prompt"?
All this does is get rid of the prompt, which gets annoying for these debugging things, so it's not harmful if it rejects it. Strange, but not harmful.
After typing in the rest the Version with M stalls; typing another "go" leads to "Sb3"; in the version without "M" after go there is normal Output
Hmm. That's the exact opposite of what I was seeing under Linux with Wine, which is disconcerting. I'll investigate some more.
Thanks for testing!
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Evert wrote:
GregNeto wrote:I followed your instruction: In both versions "promt off" leads to an error ("Illegal move or unknown command")
Did you type "promt" or "prompt"?
All this does is get rid of the prompt, which gets annoying for these debugging things, so it's not harmful if it rejects it. Strange, but not harmful.
After typing in the rest the Version with M stalls; typing another "go" leads to "Sb3"; in the version without "M" after go there is normal Output
Hmm. That's the exact opposite of what I was seeing under Linux with Wine, which is disconcerting. I'll investigate some more.
Thanks for testing!
I would have tested them Evert, but I cannot run SSE4.2 instructions
on my 'old' quadcore machine (also no popcnt here...)