Exact TT scores and alpha/beta

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

op12no2
Full name: Colin Jenkins

Exact TT scores and alpha/beta

Post by op12no2 »

I'm confused.

If a TT score (with an associated move) at a node is exact I've been returning it without reference to node type or current alpha/beta.

But I notice that that seems to be wrong - and at a PV node one should only return an exact score if it lies within the current alpha/beta window.

I don't follow why. OK, the score is not exact based on the current window, but it has been exact based on a wider window, so surely it's still valid (like mate scores after the move loop are) - it's an exact score for the position but in the context is an alpha/beta cut. Also it seems to me that mate scores will get filtered out by limiting exact score to the current window.

I'm missing something obviously, but what...? :)

Fail soft context.
AlvaroBegue
Full name: Álvaro Begué (RuyDos)

Re: Exact TT scores and alpha/beta

Post by AlvaroBegue »

op12no2 wrote: But I notice that that seems to be wrong - and at a PV node one should only return an exact score if it lies within the current alpha/beta window.
No, the logic is not quite that. The implication goes only one way: If the minimax score of the node lies within the current alpha/beta window, then the function must return it. Otherwise, it only needs to return something beta or above if the minimax score is beta or above, and something alpha or lower if the minimax score is alpha or lower.

Returning the exact minimax score is always a valid answer.
op12no2

Post by op12no2 »

Hi Álvaro,

Ah, OK, thanks, so I'm confusing myself about something I'm not in fact confused about I think :) I'm not sure where I got the notion now...
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

op12no2 wrote:I'm confused.

If a TT score (with an associated move) at a node is exact I've been returning it without reference to node type or current alpha/beta.

But I notice that that seems to be wrong - and at a PV node one should only return an exact score if it lies within the current alpha/beta window.

I don't follow why. OK, the score is not exact based on the current window, but it has been exact based on a wider window, so surely it's still valid (like mate scores after the move loop are) - it's an exact score for the position but in the context is an alpha/beta cut. Also it seems to me that mate scores will get filtered out by limiting exact score to the current window.

I'm missing something obviously, but what...? :)

Fail soft context.
Whether a score that had been stored in the TT is exact or a lower or upper bound is completely unrelated to the situation at the current node where you consider using it. The score type is determined when storing, i.e. if you store at a beta cutoff then you only know it is a lower bound, and if you store at a fail-low then you only know it is an upper bound. Mate scores are not very special IMO since even for a mate score you can determine the score type when storing it.

When considering to use a TT score for a TT cutoff you can usually always take the cutoff if the score type is "exact" and the stored depth is >= the current remaining depth - provided you are at a node where you consider TT cutoff at all. Upper bound scores greater or equal to beta, as well as lower bound scores lower or equal to alpha, must not be used for a TT cutoff because it is unknown whether the "real" scores are within or outside the current window.

EDIT: Please note the difference between a "beta cutoff" and a "TT cutoff", the latter means taking a shortcut by avoiding to research a subtree when there is reliable information in the TT about it. But you need to be sure whether the resulting score is inside or outside the window, therefore the restriction for upper/lower bound scores but not for exact scores.
op12no2

Post by op12no2 »

Thanks Sven,

That's what I do I think. For some reason I had got it into my head that exact scores needed to be within the current window but I could not figure out a logical reason why and it was driving me nuts :)

Code: Select all

... depth check and get move etc

if &#40;score <= -MINMATE && score >= -MATE&#41;
    score += node.ply;

else if &#40;score >= MINMATE && score <= MATE&#41;
    score -= node.ply;

if &#40;type == TT_EXACT&#41;
    return score;

if &#40;type == TT_ALPHA && score <= alpha&#41; 
    return score;

if &#40;type == TT_BETA && score >= beta&#41;
    return score;

return TTSCORE_UNKNOWN;
PS: are alpha and beta swapped (typos) in your middle para?
Sven

Post by Sven »

op12no2 wrote:Thanks Sven,

That's what I do I think. For some reason I had got it into my head that exact scores needed to be within the current window but I could not figure out a logical reason why and it was driving me nuts :)

... depth check and get move etc

if &#40;score <= -MINMATE && score >= -MATE&#41;
    score += node.ply;

else if &#40;score >= MINMATE && score <= MATE&#41;
    score -= node.ply;

if &#40;type == TT_EXACT&#41;
    return score;

if &#40;type == TT_ALPHA && score <= alpha&#41; 
    return score;

return score;

return TTSCORE_UNKNOWN;
PS: are alpha and beta swapped (typos) in your middle para?
EDIT: Yes, you are right :-) I swapped alpha and beta ...

So I wanted to write:

"Upper bound scores greater than alpha, as well as lower bound scores lower than beta, must not be used for a TT cutoff because it is unknown whether the "real" scores are within or outside the current window."
Sven

Post by Sven »

My initial version had not been completely wrong but it was also not sufficient to derive correct code from it. We need to prevent "upper-bound-type" TT scores from causing a TT cutoff not only if they fail high to the current window (as I had written initially) but also if they are inside the window. And vice versa for "lower-bound-type" TT scores.
op12no2

Post by op12no2 »

op12no2 wrote:

return score;

Thinking about that it seems to be wrong? SHould be > beta?

Ignoring the TT we would not return a score == beta as a beta/low cut, it'd be exact, so the quoted code is keeping us from finding exact moves on occasion...? I'll test it.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

The conventional meaning of alpha and beta is such that any score >= beta is a fail high and lower bound, and any score <= alpha is a fail low and upper bound. If alpha < score < beta for a score returned by the search, the score is exact, but that of course makes it BOTH an upper and a lower bound. So in fact any score > alpha is a lower bound, and any score < beta an upper bound.

This becomes quite logical when you realize alpha and beta are nothing but scores you already found in side branches (through the "if(score > alpha) alpha = score"). You are not interested in scores that are the same, only in scores that are better than what you had. So not equal to alpha or beta.

I always do it like this:

While storing:

tt->flags = (bestScore > originalAlpha)*F_LOWER + (bestScore < beta)*F_UPPER;

While probing:

if((tt->flags & F_LOWER || tt->score <= originalAlpha) && (tt->flags & F_UPPER || tt->score >= beta)) ScoreIsUsable();
AlvaroBegue
Full name: Álvaro Begué (RuyDos)

Post by AlvaroBegue »

hgm wrote:
While storing:

tt->flags = (bestScore > originalAlpha)*F_LOWER + (bestScore < beta)*F_UPPER;

An alternative is to use this pseudo-code:

int negamax&#40;...) &#123;
  if &#40;depth <= 0&#41; return blah&#40;);
  bound_type = UpperBound;