Lmiting quiescence ?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MahmoudUthman

Lmiting quiescence ?

Post by MahmoudUthman »

I don't descend to quiescence while in check , and I only search captures , promotions and evasions , do I still need to limit it (limiting the depth , generating only recaptures under certain depth ... etc.) ? & Is it good to search pawn pushes on rank 5:8White & 3:1Black ?
flok

Re: Lmiting quiescence ?

Post by flok »

what are evasions in this case?
MahmoudUthman

Post by MahmoudUthman »

flok wrote:what are evasions in this case?
I don't understand what you mean exactly ? if you are asking because of not descending into QS while in check , a king may become in check because of a capture considered in QS
flok

Post by flok »

What I meant is: I have no idea evasions means, in this context and in general
MahmoudUthman

Post by MahmoudUthman »

flok wrote:What I meant is: I have no idea evasions means, in this context and in general
I meant moves out of check whether they be capture or not ("Check evasions")
cdani

Post by cdani »

MahmoudUthman wrote:I don't descend to quiescence while in check , and I only search captures , promotions and evasions , do I still need to limit it (limiting the depth , generating only recaptures under certain depth ... etc.) ?
Seems advisable some limit, as even if you don't generate checks in Qs, not a few times there will be a lot of recursion, and anyway you will not have a much reliable score. Just test it as always.
MahmoudUthman wrote:Is it good to search pawn pushes on rank 5:8White & 3:1Black ?
On Qs I haven't tested it and I don't know any engine that does it.