OICS Reborn?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jshriver

OICS Reborn?

Post by jshriver »

I've been in comp chess since 1996, but I took a looong hiatus a while back due to job loss, fiance issues (didnt get married), depression, anxiety, both of my grandparents dying (btw that is 1/2 my family only my mom left).

Anyway, I'm climbing out of the ashes :) Comp chess was always a highlight even during depression years. So I find this very therapeutic :)

I'm thinking about reviving OICS. Again I can host n-engines :) but open to anyone to play 24/7.

Before I do, I'm just curious if anyone is interested?

I'd be running HGM's latest fork of his ICS. With his mamer, + my own tourney bot which looks at who's online autoadd, and then start tourneys on their behalf. Just like before.

So here are some issues I saw WHEN I ran OICS. People would login, and not get into a tourney. Honestly most of those times, were because I was doing a LONG tourney like 60min. I had an equation (forget) but I did 1 1, 5 1 (mostly) and a few 15 5. So if an engine came in during a 15 5, and it took HOURS people wondered WTF?

I've retained ALL the code from the old OICS, plus the web stuff :) BTW I did fix that bot bug where it didnt end on end games, resulting in games still showing on the website despite being over. That was an issue when I tried to "web host" a big national game.. sorry!

So what do you think?

HGM monthly!, a lil OICS weekly? or 24/7?

-Josh
jswaff
Full name: James Swafford

Re: OICS Reborn?

Post by jswaff »

I like it Josh and would be interested. It seems harder to get games on ICC than it used to be and watching my engine play the same set of sparring partners over and over gets a little boring so this could be a nice break from that monotony. Does this have a chat feature to talk with others that happen to be online?
JVMerlino

Post by JVMerlino »

Any additional opportunities to play against engines or humans is always welcome!
flok

Post by flok »

Yes please!
nionita

Post by nionita »

I think HGM's one is so successful because it is a shorter one, at a defined (announced) time. 24/7 would be probably most of the time not visited. But to speak for myself, I think another monthly tournament would be welcome (so we have 2 per month).
flok

Post by flok »

Any news?
I'm very eager to let embla play!
Henk

Post by Henk »

flok wrote:Any news?
I'm very eager to let embla play!
Just rename it to Emily.
flok