McBrain v2.0 Release

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MikeB

McBrain v2.0 Release

Post by MikeB »

Details, source and exe's can be found here at the bottom of the link below:

https://github.com/MichaelB7/Stockfish/releases/tag/2.0

exe's include almost all flavors for windows, linux and macOS systems

One of the highlights of this release came from SugaR (a SF based engine by Marco Zerbinati) - you can now toggle search functions "off" and "on" real time ( Futility, LMR, NullMove, ProbCut, Pruning, Razoring).
Click all of them "off" to have a Stockfish-based retro engine from the early 1990's 8-)

enjoy!

Michael
Scacchista1977
Full name: Aleandro Rossi

Re: McBrain v2.0 Release

Post by Scacchista1977 »

Great!!!
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

thanks a lot for all your effort in improving Stockfish. :) :) :D
Rowen

Post by Rowen »

Hi

Thanks for this. The UCI parameters tactics and respect, I guess tactics will increase tactical play,evaluation? but what specificially does the respect paremeter change, is this contempt, reverse contempt?

If I can digress, I have noticed over the years that GUi s in general sometimes dont show ALL of the UCI paremeters , however for some reason the FRITZ 11 GUIs always seems to show these paremters, not FRITZ 8, 9.10.12,14 or other GUIS in general but 11 seems to function best in that respect.

Anyway thanks
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Rowen wrote:Hi

Thanks for this. The UCI parameters tactics and respect, I guess tactics will increase tactical play,evaluation? but what specificially does the respect paremeter change, is this contempt, reverse contempt?

If I can digress, I have noticed over the years that GUi s in general sometimes dont show ALL of the UCI paremeters , however for some reason the FRITZ 11 GUIs always seems to show these paremters, not FRITZ 8, 9.10.12,14 or other GUIS in general but 11 seems to function best in that respect.

Anyway thanks
Reverse Contempt. Just personal preference - "contempt" has a negative connotation , "respect" is positive. But the function is just the same with all due respect. 😊
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Thanks a lot, Michael! I checked off Variety, and I see it has an immediate, but severe effect, making the engine play moves it would not normally play, effectively weakening it. Was this the desired goal?

Perhaps, a way to scale down its effects could also be useful, similar to what Komodo has.

Cheers,
CL
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

carldaman wrote:Thanks a lot, Michael! I checked off Variety, and I see it has an immediate effect, making the engine play moves it would not normally play, effectively weakening it. Was this the desired goal?

Perhaps, a way to scale down its effects could also be useful, similar to what Komodo has.

Cheers,
CL
It was more dramatic than anticipated ... was surprised a bit - did not thoroughly test it in game play ... Already have a few changes to roll out in the next release, will include a variety update - will set it up as a variable in the next release
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

MikeB wrote:
carldaman wrote:Thanks a lot, Michael! I checked off Variety, and I see it has an immediate effect, making the engine play moves it would not normally play, effectively weakening it. Was this the desired goal?

Cheers,
CL
It was more dramatic than anticipated ... was surprised a bit - did not thoroughly test it in game play ... Already have a few changes to roll out in the next release, will include a variety update - will set it up as a variable in the next release
Right up my Alley,

Thanks for the innovations Mike...this should be beneficial for human training right? I mean weakening SF and producing a somewhat human-ish style?
Dariusz
Full name: Dariusz Domagała

Post by Dariusz »

Thank you Michael :-)
Regards, Darius
https://chessengeria.eu
leavenfish

Post by leavenfish »

Michael -

When you download McBrain...should the defaults be tweeked for engine tournaments? I ask because, after purchasing Komodo I ran a quick test using some lines in the Silver Suite and the engine fared worse than I had expected:

Engine Score St St As Ko Mc S-B
1: Stockfish_17031823_x64_modern 13.5/24 ······ ==1=== ====== =====1 ==1=== 156.25
2: Stockfish_8_x64_popcnt 13.5/24 ==0=== ······ ====== 1=0=1= =1=1=1 152.25
3: AsmFishW_2016-12-26_popcnt 13.0/24 ====== ====== ······ 11=1== =0==== 152.00
4: Komodo-10.4-64bit 10.5/24 =====0 0=1=0= 00=0== ······ =1=1== 125.00
5: McBrain_2017_v20_x64_modern 9.5/24 ==0=== =0=0=0 =1==== =0=0== ······ 120.50

60 games played / Tournament finished
Name of the tournament: 1min 1sec
Site/ Country: DESKTOP-8HGTVN3, United States
Level: Blitz 1:01/1
Hardware: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz with 16.0 GB Memory
Operating system: Windows 10 Home Home Edition (Build 9200) 64 bit
PGN-File: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arena\Tournaments\G90c.pgn
E-Mail Address: