ChessV 2.0 - open source GUI and engine for chess variants

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Nordlandia

Re: ChessV 2.0 - open source GUI and engine for chess varian

Post by Nordlandia »

Castling is done as in normal chess. You lose the right to castle if either one of your kings move.
I think this implies that you can only castle queen-side?
That is correct. I used to play this variation when i played on Internet Chess Club.

Code: Select all

"Wild 9 is one of the more unusual wild variants. Instead of the usual king bishop, you start out with 2 kings! One king is just a normal piece, while the other is the one that must be checked and mated. However, their roles can change, as the game progresses! As you sweep the board from the bottom left, starting with a1 to a8, then b1 to b8, etc. until h8, the first king that you reach is the one that must be mated. The second king (if it is still on the board) is just a normal piece."
Question: -> Should pawns be allowed to promote to Kings if one monarch get captured earlier in the game?
Greg Strong

Post by Greg Strong »

Nordlandia wrote:Question: -> Should pawns be allowed to promote to Kings if one monarch get captured earlier in the game?
Excellent question. Can you try on ICC and see if it allows this?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

I am pretty sure you cannot. TwoKings is sort of a 'non-consciously designed' variant. In the early days of the ICS someone just set up a position with two Kings, to see what happened. Since the ICS check test starts by scanning the board to locate the King, it applies the test only to the first King it encounters this way, and ignores the other. The ICS is not in any way aware that this is not normal Chess.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Unfortunately, King promotions is not allowed.

HGMuller is correct.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

I just checked on ICC.

King promotions is not allowed.

gbtami

Post by gbtami »

Ferdy wrote: I created a site dedicated to engines that can play makruk here.
https://sites.google.com/view/makruks/home
May I ask you to list PyChess under the GUI section also, please!
Greg Strong

Post by Greg Strong »

hgm wrote:I am pretty sure you cannot. TwoKings is sort of a 'non-consciously designed' variant. In the early days of the ICS someone just set up a position with two Kings, to see what happened. Since the ICS check test starts by scanning the board to locate the King, it applies the test only to the first King it encounters this way, and ignores the other. The ICS is not in any way aware that this is not normal Chess.
Oh, ok. Thanks for the background. The game makes more sense knowing this. But, knowing this, I think I misunderstood the rules:
If the two kings are on the same file, the one closest to rank 1 is the king you must checkmate.
I had assumed this was each player's first rank, but I now suspect it is rank 1 in an absolute sense. This would make the game assymetric per player, which is very bad. If both kings are on the same file, then white's royal king is the one in the back, whereas black's royal king is the one out front, giving a significant advantage to white (who already has an advantage from first move.) Can someone confirm if that is correct?
hgm

Post by hgm »

Yes, that is correct. It is an asymmetric game.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Greg Strong wrote:I had assumed this was each player's first rank, but I now suspect it is rank 1 in an absolute sense. This would make the game assymetric per player, which is very bad. If both kings are on the same file, then white's royal king is the one in the back, whereas black's royal king is the one out front, giving a significant advantage to white (who already has an advantage from first move.) Can someone confirm if that is correct?
It is without doubt rank 1 (a1 for white) and rank 8 (a8 for black).

Upside-down king is non-royal.

hgm

Post by hgm »

I think you are wrong. WinBoard does not treat it that way, for sure. What removed your doubt?