games against humans

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

smcracraft
Full name: Stuart Cracraft

games against humans

Post by smcracraft »

Any decent place to have one's program play against people online these days?
mhull
Full name: Matthew Hull

Re: games against humans

Post by mhull »

smcracraft wrote:Any decent place to have one's program play against people online these days?
If you happen to have an unexpired account on ICC, you can get a free computer account, since you are a chess programmer:
https://www.chessclub.com/user/help/computers

You could try getting a computer account on FICS but I've heard that the "timely" customer service in setting that up is "you get what you pay for".

No idea about other sites.
Matthew Hull
flok

Post by flok »

Fics takes a couple of weeks yes.

Also: my program gets to play one game a day or so.
matthewlai

Post by matthewlai »

It depends on the strength of your program. If it's below FM level, FICS is free (though you may have to wait). I did get plenty of games (a few every hour) on FICS with my computer account.

If it's IM level or above, ICC is probably the only option. My engine played many IMs and a few GMs on ICC.
Disclosure: I work for DeepMind on the AlphaZero project, but everything I say here is personal opinion and does not reflect the views of DeepMind / Alphabet.
jdart

Post by jdart »

Arasan is on both servers, although not at the same time because I only have one box for server play. I don't get a lot of human games played, unless you count non-computer accounts using computers (FICS is pretty lax about policing this). But my formula excludes weak players.

ICC is not that expensive (works out to $5 or $6 a month). But lately most computer accounts have vanished off ICC. Only Arasan and Tinker and a couple of others are on and not all the time.

--Jon
smcracraft
Full name: Stuart Cracraft

Post by smcracraft »

I am really enjoying lichess.org.