Is anyone here already using a Ryzen 1800X processor ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

shrapnel

Re: Is anyone here already using a Ryzen 1800X processor ?

Post by shrapnel »

LOL ! I should think that its wishful thinking at best, that, in spite of getting its a$$ handed to it in the Fritz Benchmark, the AMD Ryzen will somehow pull a Rabbit out of the Hat and beat the Powerful i7 5960X when running Stockfish or Komodo !
That's stretching it a bit !
Fritz Benchmark has its shortcomings, no doubt, but in the absence of anything better, I should think its safe to assume that no way the cheap AMD Ryzen could beat the i7 5960X, unless I'm missing something here.
Lots of Draws, no doubt, but I should think its very doubtful that an AMD Ryzen could beat the i7 5960X in a Head-to-Head Computer Chess Match !
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Henrik Dinesen

Post by Henrik Dinesen »

shrapnel wrote:LOL ! I should think that its wishful thinking at best, that, in spite of getting its a$$ handed to it in the Fritz Benchmark, the AMD Ryzen will somehow pull a Rabbit out of the Hat and beat the Powerful i7 5960X when running Stockfish or Komodo !
Fritz Benchmark has its shortcomings, no doubt, but in the absence of anything better, I should think its safe to assume that no way the cheap AMD Ryzen could beat the i7 5960X, unless I'm missing something here.
Lots of Draws, no doubt, but I should think its very doubtful that an AMD Ryzen could beat the i7 5960X in a Head-to-Head Computer Chess Match !
You're not in any way biased on this topic I'm sure !?
(i7 5960X @ 4.5 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM)

Naturally it's impossible that something new and surely cheaper can surpass your computer ...

Have a nice weekend and good chess-fun!
Henrik
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

shrapnel wrote:
Laskos wrote:
beram wrote:I have it now for 1 hour

AMD Ryzen 1800X Fritz ChessBenchmark 46,71 22419 kns
Stockfish and Komodo results for Ryzen 1800X are probably surpassing 8 core i7-6900K and i7-5960X.
I rarely get a chance to prove a Pro like you wrong, Mr Laskos.
So, I couldn't resist :D
And this with Hyperthreading Off on my 8 core Intel i7 5960X !
Just imagine the Score if I had left ON Hyperthreading !
Intel still kicks AMD a$$, NOTHING has changed !
Overclocked Intel vs AMD at stock, really good comparison.... Drop yours down to stock speed and run it again.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

shrapnel wrote:LOL ! I should think that its wishful thinking at best, that, in spite of getting its a$$ handed to it in the Fritz Benchmark, the AMD Ryzen will somehow pull a Rabbit out of the Hat and beat the Powerful i7 5960X when running Stockfish or Komodo !
You are badly informed. Read Stockfish and Komodo benchmarks available on the net for one month now. It seems Ryzen 1800X beats the crap out of I7-5960X at base clock speed both and 16 threads. For half a price. Fritz benchmark is inadequate with many threads.
corres

Post by corres »

[quote="Modern Times"]
.... Drop yours down to stock speed and run it again.
[/color][/quote]
This will be more precise at equivalent (3600MHz for both CPU) clock speed. In any cases the value of KiloNodes should be divide by clock speed in GHz. Which CPU has bigger quotient that CPU is the better.
Naturally this is a rough estimation, but valid.
So AMD Rysen 7 1800x (base clock speed 3.6 GHz ) has 622 kn/GHz
and Intel I7 5960x (base -overlocked- clock speed 4.5 GHZ) has 533 kn/GHz.
The difference is very big for AMD, may be Fritz Benchmark is advantageous for Ryzen.
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Henrik Dinesen wrote:You're not in any way biased on this topic I'm sure !?
(i7 5960X @ 4.5 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM)

Naturally it's impossible that something new and surely cheaper can surpass your computer ...

Have a nice weekend and good chess-fun!
I may or may not be biased. But if I'm backing up my Claims with FACTS and PROOF, maybe you shouldn't be so quick to pass Judgements.
Have a nice day.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Modern Times wrote:Overclocked Intel vs AMD at stock, really good comparison.... Drop yours down to stock speed and run it again.[/color]
Certainly.
I'm at work right now and will post my Results later when I get home.
Also, you seem to have overlooked the fact that I had HT Off , while Beram was running with HT On.
And I was using just a 4.0 GHz O/C, not 4.5 GHz.
Later.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Yes I saw you had HT off. At stock with HT on I think you will still be quicker than the AMD but I don't know by how much.
corres

Post by corres »

[quote="shrapnel"]
And I was using just a 4.0 GHz O/C, not 4.5 GHz...
[/quote]

Your earlier post marked with "i7 5960x @ 4.5 GHz 64 GB..."
What is the true?
In the case of 4.0 GHz clock speed the quotient for i7 5960x is
600, what is very close to AMD Ryzen 7.
Based on the above facts it is obvious that an overlocked Ryzen 7 1800x to all cores running on 4.0 GHz produces about the same Fritz Benchmark then i7 5960x or i7 6900K.
Single core power and gaming power of Ryzen 7 are another cases.
corres

Post by corres »

[quote="Laskos"]
And Fritz bench is not very fit to measure speed on 16 threads.
[/quote]

Fritz bench is good for Fritz, Stockfish bench is good for Stockfish, Houdini bench is good for Houdini...
Processors have different architecture and parameters what influence the power of chess engines run on that processor.
But it is obvious to me there is no great difference in chess power of processors with identical cores and identical clock speed.