Is anyone here already using a Ryzen 1800X processor ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dirt

Re: Is anyone here already using a Ryzen 1800X processor ?

Post by Dirt »

corres wrote:Your earlier post marked with "i7 5960x @ 4.5 GHz 64 GB..."
That's just his signature. It was a reasonable guess that he was running at that clock rate, but if he says that is not true there is no reason not to believe him.
Deasil is the right way to go.
corres

Post by corres »

[quote="Dirt"]
[quote="corres"]
Your earlier post marked with "i7 5960x @ 4.5 GHz 64 GB..."
[/quote]
That's just his signature. It was a reasonable [i]guess[/i] that he was running at that clock rate, but if he says that is not true there is no reason not to believe him.
[/quote]

I am a very naive man....
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Yes, that is just my Signature.
I have achieved a 4.5 Ghz in test runs, but I prefer a 4.0 -4.2 GHz o/c for daily use, to avoid stability issues.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Modern Times wrote:Yes I saw you had HT off. At stock with HT on I think you will still be quicker than the AMD but I don't know by how much.
"By how much ?"
How about a whopping 6,398 kN/s ? :lol: :lol:
No Contest !
So, when you buy cheap, you GET cheap !
AMD trying to match up to mighty INTEL !
What a JOKE !
Enough of this silly argument.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

I have an AMD A12. It was very cheap and a lot better than my old Intel. I will by Ryzen over Intel. Its a lot cheaper and very good. Why should I spend more money on Intel?
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

shrapnel wrote:
Modern Times wrote:Yes I saw you had HT off. At stock with HT on I think you will still be quicker than the AMD but I don't know by how much.
"By how much ?"
How about a whopping 6,398 kN/s ? :lol: :lol:
No Contest !
So, when you buy cheap, you GET cheap !
AMD trying to match up to mighty INTEL !
What a JOKE !
Enough of this silly argument.
First, Fritz benchmark is outdated compare Stockfish or Komodo apples to apples. Second, you still overclock it. At base clock, Tomshardware.com gives 23,084 kN/s for i7-5960X on all 16 threads base clock.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/int ... 918-4.html

You don't seem to be a reliable benchmarker, as you will inflate your numbers. Luckily, there is many data on i7-5960X.
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

LOL ! Talk about ostriches burying their heads in the sand !
Ol' Tom probably got a bum sample to test.
I posted pictures of my CPU-Z and the Fritz Benchmark.
Stiill this talk !
Oh well, as a Wise Man said " one will see only what one WANTS to see ".
Believe what you like.
On another note, out of curiousity, I read some reviews of this AMD Ryzen.
One reviewer wrote that this Ryzen can only be reliably overclocked to 4.0 GHz. Anything more and it starts to heat up alarmingly.
So, its a very poor overclocker.
Also, it has trouble running high-performance RAM at stated frequencies....kN/s will take a hit right there.
Thirdly, there seem to be some compatibility issues with Windows.
All these points seem to be serious dampeners.
I suppose its OK for people with a shoe-string budget, but enthusiasts should avoid it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... 00x-review
corres

Post by corres »

[quote="shrapnel"]
Yes, that is just my Signature.
I have achieved a 4.5 Ghz in test runs, but I prefer a 4.0 -4.2 GHz o/c for daily use, to avoid stability issues.
[/quote]

I see.
If you really want to make a comparison between your processor and Ryzen 7, please make a test run on 3600 MHz clock speed - that is the base clock speed of Rysen. I suppose that bench values for Rysen 7 and i7 5960x will be very close each others.
You are right, using commercial coolers i7 5960x can be made more easy over clocked then Ryzen 7. And there are lot of fields where processors of Intel better then AMDs.
So taking into consideration all aspects, Intel processors are better then AMD, I think too. But I have doubt that the difference in price between i7 5960x (or i7 6900K) and Ryzen 7 1800x is well-founded.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

corres wrote:
shrapnel wrote: Yes, that is just my Signature.
I see.
If you really want to make a comparison between your processor and Ryzen 7, please make a test run on 3600 MHz clock speed - that is the base clock speed of Rysen. I suppose that bench values for Rysen 7 and i7 5960x will be very close each others.
You are right, using commercial coolers i7 5960x can be made more easy over clocked then Ryzen 7. And there are lot of fields where processors of Intel better then AMDs.
So taking into consideration all aspects, Intel processors are better then AMD, I think too. But I have doubt that the difference in price between i7 5960x (or i7 6900K) and Ryzen 7 1800x is well-founded.
Come on, the only reliable comparison is from a French serious benching site which shows the following:

Other data is hard to get, as people use incongruous comparisons, use outdated Fritz benchmark or do not own both these machines. Or, as Anil does, will post bogus data.
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

I have a new question, Mr. Laskos:

- If I let an engine running 24h continuously for a week,
using all cores, to analyse a position, is the rise in temperature going to affect stability, if I compare i7 vs Ryzen vs Xeon processors ?

I couldn't do that using my old Q6600 (with a simple air cooler) just because windows crashes... :(
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931