Is anyone here already using a Ryzen 1800X processor ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Re: Is anyone here already using a Ryzen 1800X processor ?

Post by Laskos »

Ponti wrote:I have a new question, Mr. Laskos:

- If I let an engine running 24h continuously for a week,
using all cores, to analyse a position, is the rise in temperature going to affect stability, if I compare i7 vs Ryzen vs Xeon processors ?

I couldn't do that using my old Q6600 (with a simple air cooler) just because windows crashes... :(
A week, 24h or 30min shouldn't matter. After 15-30min the temperatures stabilize. Maybe if you are in a dusty or variable temperature ambience, things can happen. Dust and the thermal paste are factors which can impact long-term behavior. AFAIK Ryzen is using a metal radiator instead of thermal paste. Both Intel's and AMD's 14nm technologies are not exactly temperature-friendly or very much overclockable, and are running pretty hot, so on full charge expect some 80 Celsius CPU temperatures, but don't worry, it should run stable for weeks even on stock cooler.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Ponti wrote:I have a new question, Mr. Laskos:

- If I let an engine running 24h continuously for a week,
using all cores, to analyse a position, is the rise in temperature going to affect stability, if I compare i7 vs Ryzen vs Xeon processors ?
If it's running at stock speeds and it crashes that often it's a bug. It's not that easy to test for, but the best testing information we have for now is from AMD.
Ponti wrote:I couldn't do that using my old Q6600 (with a simple air cooler) just because windows crashes... :(
Again, if that's at stock speed it's a bug.
Deasil is the right way to go.
corres

Post by corres »

[quote="shrapnel"][quote="Modern Times"]Yes I saw you had HT off. At stock with HT on I think you will still be quicker than the AMD but I don't know by how much.[/quote]
"By how much ?"
How about a [b]whopping 6,398 kN/s[/b] ? :lol: :lol:
[img]http://i65.tinypic.com/33lpn5z.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i67.tinypic.com/bdtwlk.jpg[/img]
No Contest !
So, when you buy cheap, you GET cheap !
AMD trying to match up to mighty INTEL !
What a JOKE !
Enough of this silly argument.[/quote]

We are waiting for Mr. Dharan,s test run further, but his last test result confirms my statement that there is only a small difference between the two processor - at least in the sense of chess power.
Based on the result of Mr.Maurik the quotient for Ryzen 7 1800x is 6222 kn/sec/GHz (Sorry, but in my earlier posts I left the last numerals. I was very sleepy at that time...) and of Mr.Dharan the quotient for i7 5960x is
6400 kn/sec/GHz. The diffence is smaller then 3 %....
It is also obvious that running the both processors on 4.0 GHz (Mr. Dharan earlier data) the positions should be the same.
Using other bench then Fritz the difference should be divergent but very similar to this result.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

And let's not forget the value for money position - AMD is cheaper for similar performance. Well done AMD ! We needed a strong competitor to Intel, a monopoly suits no-one.
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Modern Times wrote:And let's not forget the value for money position - AMD is cheaper for similar performance. Well done AMD ! We needed a strong competitor to Intel, a monopoly suits no-one.
+1.
But only because the competition will force Intel to cut Prices a bit, hopefully !
I still won't buy AMD, but if bleeding-edge Intel CPUs become even slightly cheaper, I won't complain :) .
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Waschbaer

Post by Waschbaer »

My System is running now with ryzen 7 1800x stable at 3950 MHz with 64GB memory.
Houdini 5 evalutes the startposition at about 18400 kN/s (16 threads)

I have to test without "hyperthreads" again, but my first test shows not as much n/s as with all threads running.

Do you have more/another/same results?
Ron Langeveld

Post by Ron Langeveld »

Waschbaer wrote:My System is running now with ryzen 7 1800x stable at 3950 MHz with 64GB memory.

I have to test without "hyperthreads" again, but my first test shows not as much n/s as with all threads running.

Intel's HT is a joke compared to what AMD has done with SMT so I suggest you keep this enabled to get the best performance.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

Ron Langeveld wrote:
Waschbaer wrote:My System is running now with ryzen 7 1800x stable at 3950 MHz with 64GB memory.

Intel's HT is a joke compared to what AMD has done with SMT so I suggest you keep this enabled to get the best performance.
Good point.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

shrapnel wrote:
Modern Times wrote:And let's not forget the value for money position - AMD is cheaper for similar performance. Well done AMD ! We needed a strong competitor to Intel, a monopoly suits no-one.
+1.
But only because the competition will force Intel to cut Prices a bit, hopefully !
I still won't buy AMD, but if bleeding-edge Intel CPUs become even slightly cheaper, I won't complain :) .
You have a very good computer. There is no question about that. You are right, the more competition the better for everyone. I naturally like the underdog so thats one reason I like AMD.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
Ron Langeveld

Post by Ron Langeveld »

Leo wrote:
shrapnel wrote:
+1.
You have a very good computer. There is no question about that. You are right, the more competition the better for everyone. I naturally like the underdog so thats one reason I like AMD.
In the past 20 years I have build systems based on either Intel or AMD based on rationality and simple calculation when it comes to performance per dollar or euro and not based on underdog sentiments :)

If you are going to use systems 24/7 for analysis it is very worthwhile to look at power usage too. My 1800X Ryzen on stock speed is faster than my 5960X Intel on stock speed. The latter is not only twice as expensive to buy but also uses more electricity. Conservative calculation tells me I save about 70 euro each year with the Ryzen setup. If you don't need the fastest setup in a single box but are looking for the best value for your analysis workload on a 24/7 basis then the choice for Ryzen is a no-brainer.