Is anyone here already using a Ryzen 1800X processor ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Milos

Re: Is anyone here already using a Ryzen 1800X processor ?

Post by Milos »

Ron Langeveld wrote:If you are going to use systems 24/7 for analysis it is very worthwhile to look at power usage too. My 1800X Ryzen on stock speed is faster than my 5960X Intel on stock speed. The latter is not only twice as expensive to buy but also uses more electricity. Conservative calculation tells me I save about 70 euro each year with the Ryzen setup. If you don't need the fastest setup in a single box but are looking for the best value for your analysis workload on a 24/7 basis then the choice for Ryzen is a no-brainer.
The difference between 5960x and 1800x in power consumption on full load and stock speed is only 30W (143W vs. 112W). 30Wx24x365=263kWh. Where do you live when for you 1kWh costs 0.27euros in conservative calculation????
Ron Langeveld

Post by Ron Langeveld »

Nope, used 0,20 euro per 1kWh and the TDP for both chips: 95W vs 140W for the Intel.
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

Where do you live when for you 1kWh costs 0.27euros in conservative calculation????
https://1-stromvergleich.com/medien/ele ... rope-1.png

Probably not in Serbia ;-)

--
Srdja
Milos

Post by Milos »

Ron Langeveld wrote:Nope, used 0,20 euro per 1kWh and the TDP for both chips: 95W vs 140W for the Intel.
AMD usually has quite deceiving TDP figures, real power consumption is often 20+% higher.
Milos

Post by Milos »

smatovic wrote:
Where do you live when for you 1kWh costs 0.27euros in conservative calculation????
https://1-stromvergleich.com/medien/ele ... rope-1.png
I knew Germany is pretty bad, but they get a lot of tax return so real price is nowhere near 30 euro cents.
Ron Langeveld

Post by Ron Langeveld »

Milos wrote:
Ron Langeveld wrote:Nope, used 0,20 euro per 1kWh and the TDP for both chips: 95W vs 140W for the Intel.
AMD usually has quite deceiving TDP figures, real power consumption is often 20+% higher.
Intel 'usually' has quite 'deceiving' consumer prices >)

Maybe the 45 Watt TDP gap is not very 'conservative' in my calculation but any edge in power consumption AMD has over Intel is icing on the cake in my view ;)
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Ron Langeveld wrote:If you are going to use systems 24/7 for analysis it is very worthwhile to look at power usage too. My 1800X Ryzen on stock speed is faster than my 5960X Intel on stock speed. The latter is not only twice as expensive to buy but also uses more electricity. Conservative calculation tells me I save about 70 euro each year with the Ryzen setup. If you don't need the fastest setup in a single box but are looking for the best value for your analysis workload on a 24/7 basis then the choice for Ryzen is a no-brainer.
Hmm....all the AMD fanboys seem to be very concerned that comparisons to Intel should only be made only on STOCK SPEEDS ; very conveniently glossing over the FACT that the AMD Ryzen is a very poor Overclocker as stated by all the Reviewers.
Even just approaching 3.9 GHz, the TDP and Heat produced goes through the roof (there goes your TDP of 95W through the window).
And as a Reviewer said, it simply makes no sense, if you buy a Top-End Processor and run it only on STOCK SPEEDS.
And if you follow the Tournaments and Matches Section of this Forum, you will see that Beram Mourik has suddenly stopped running his Tournament for sometime now.
I strongly suspect that he tried to overclock his Ryzen in an effort to match upto Intel i7 5960X standards and BRICKED his ECONOMICAL, COST-EFFECTIVE, BEST BANG FOR BUCK, AMD Ryzen 1800 :lol:
Let this be a lesson to other prospective penny-pinchers.
When one buys cheap stuff, one GETS cheap, low-quality stuff !
Better to be patient and save up and buy the best, even if expensive, Intel Processors.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Ron Langeveld

Post by Ron Langeveld »

shrapnel wrote:
Hmm....all the AMD fanboys seem to be very concerned that comparisons to Intel should only be made only on STOCK SPEEDS ; very conveniently glossing over the FACT that the AMD Ryzen is a very poor Overclocker as stated by all the Reviewers.
Even just approaching 3.9 GHz, the TDP and Heat produced goes through the roof (there goes your TDP of 95W through the window).
And as a Reviewer said, it simply makes no sense, if you buy a Top-End Processor and run it only on STOCK SPEEDS.
And if you follow the Tournaments and Matches Section of this Forum, you will see that Beram Mourik has suddenly stopped running his Tournament for sometime now.
I strongly suspect that he tried to overclock his Ryzen in an effort to match upto Intel i7 5960X standards and BRICKED his ECONOMICAL, COST-EFFECTIVE, BEST BANG FOR BUCK, AMD Ryzen 1800 :lol:
Let this be a lesson to other prospective penny-pinchers.
When one buys cheap stuff, one GETS cheap, low-quality stuff !
Better to be patient and save up and buy the best, even if expensive, Intel Processors.
They only one that makes no sense is you. I can tell you must be realy realy frustrated by having spend all your money on an overpriced chip now that the Ryzen has been introduced. After abusing so many posters here about their inferior hardware there is of course no way you would ever admit in regretting a your buying decision. Please do overclock your precious Intel wasting more Watts and more money when a replacement is needed and your degraded chip can no longer support your big mouth.
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

Ron Langeveld wrote:
Milos wrote:
Intel 'usually' has quite 'deceiving' consumer prices >)

Maybe the 45 Watt TDP gap is not very 'conservative' in my calculation but any edge in power consumption AMD has over Intel is icing on the cake in my view ;)
TDP isn't a measure of WATTS consumed. If anything, it's an indicator for WATTS wasted. It's a number describing the maxium heat the chip will output. It's a useless value if you're calculating your electricity bill.
schack

Post by schack »

Related q: has anyone discovered the best mingw / gcc compiler flags for Stockfish on a Ryzen machine? Or, failing that, the best version to download for use on Ryzen?