new Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2018 Beta available

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MikeB

new Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2018 Beta available

Post by MikeB »

get to play around with $600 software package for free for about 6 months

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articl ... -2018-beta
Cardoso
Full name: Alvaro Cardoso

Re: new Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2018 Beta available

Post by Cardoso »

Thx Michael,
The thing I like the most is the profiler, better than MSVS.
But since Ryzen has arrived, I wonder of how much use is intel compilers, since as we know code compiled with an intel compiler will allways run slower on AMD cpus, wich is a pitty since it is very good compiler suite.

Alvaro
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Cardoso wrote:Thx Michael,
The thing I like the most is the profiler, better than MSVS.
But since Ryzen has arrived, I wonder of how much use is intel compilers, since as we know code compiled with an intel compiler will allways run slower on AMD cpus, wich is a pitty since it is very good compiler suite.

Alvaro
yea , you're right about that - it's only for INTC CPUS . Both gcc and clang are now very close for Mac Pro with x5690 , gcc is actually faster and clang is right there...and they both better than icc when using all 12 cores ..not sure why that is - others have noticed that too - 10 -12 yeas ago icc was at the top all by itself ..but over the last 5 years or so , single core improvement is not impressive compared to earlier years
jdart

Post by jdart »

I have not had any performance gain from icc. But I think a lot of their user base is doing scientific computing with floating point. So for that you might get better results.

gcc has certainly improved over the years. It is almost a completely different compiler than what it started out from.

--Jon