2017 ACCA WCRCC

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jdart

Re: 2017 ACCA WCRCC

Post by jdart »

I think in the past most engines have had their own book, or no book.

But personally I'd be ok if there was a default polygot book such as performance.bin that was allowed.

--Jon
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

zenpawn wrote:Looks interesting. Regarding this rule, "Programs by differing authors are NOT allowed to use the same opening book." does that mean to use an opening book it must be one of your own creation, i.e., not one of the freely available books since others might be using them too? What is the intent behind the rule? Thanks.

Code: Select all

2.5 Programs by differing authors are NOT allowed to use the same opening book. Violation of this gets a warning then disqualification upon second violation. To prove your books authenticity, it must be sent to the tournament organizer upon claim of violation.
Probably to make the game more interesting, there can be a situation where the game would end in a draw without the engine thinking.
The issue with public book use is a good one. I would use cerebellum, perhaps others would use it too. So I will use a slightly modified cerebellum would that be fine?

But it seems to me this rule can be retired. I will just say I don't care about your thing, do your best and I will do mine.
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

I will just say I don't care about your thing, do your best and I will do mine.
YES! That is the point. People should do their own thing/work. Now, if you have a team of people working on it that is fine too. Some that enter have a scientist/programmer and a bookmaker as a team; some have more.
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

New entrant:

The Baron by Richard Pijl.

http://aigames.net/ACCA/ACCAWCRCC/2017A ... WCRCC.html
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

New entrant:

Goldbar by Bart Goldhoorn

http://aigames.net/ACCA/ACCAWCRCC/2017A ... WCRCC.html
Stan Arts

Post by Stan Arts »

CRoberson wrote:So, you are saying that people should have to create their own books too. I am ok with that. Another possibility is we all must use the same book, but that idea is clearly bad.
In a computer chess championship demanding own books instead of public/GUI books is very reasonable.
One would expect moves to come from the engine/programmer, not a quick download from the internet so one can blast out 20 moves with which the programmer had nothing to do and then have an engine make sense of whatever's left.
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

New Entrant:

Chiron by Ubaldo Andrea Farina
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

New entrant:

Zurichess by Alexandru Mosoi
CRoberson