Is anyone here already using a Ryzen 1800X processor ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jstanback
Full name: John Stanback

Re: Ryzen tips

Post by jstanback »

I played a couple very short matches between my latest development version of Wasp using 8 threads and the same version using 16 threads and 12 threads. Time control was Game/10s + 167ms. Here are the results:

Wasp(8 threads) vs Wasp(16 threads): 97-104-308
Wasp(8 threads) vs Wasp(12 threads): 125-126-347

So it appears that my program is not making good use of the hyperthreads. I will start fiddling around with lazy SMP to see if I can improve the average search depth for the arasan19 test suite when using more than 8 threads.

I am very happy with the Ryzen processor and inexpensive ASUS B350M motherboard. Same nodes/second for a given clock speed as my i5 and good value for 8 cores & 16 threads. The stock cooler seems sufficient for 3.7 Ghz with Vcore=1.26V (temps are around 60C when running 10 simultaneous matches) and it's perfectly stable.

John
corres

Post by corres »

[quote="jstanback"]
I played a couple very short matches between my latest development version of Wasp using 8 threads and the same version using 16 threads and 12 threads. Time control was Game/10s + 167ms. Here are the results:

So it appears that my program is not making good use of the hyperthreads. I will start fiddling around with lazy SMP to see if I can improve the average search depth for the arasan19 test suite when using more than 8 threads.

I am very happy with the Ryzen processor and inexpensive ASUS B350M motherboard. Same nodes/second for a given clock speed as my i5 and good value for 8 cores & 16 threads. The stock cooler seems sufficient for 3.7 Ghz with Vcore=1.26V (temps are around 60C when running 10 simultaneous matches) and it's perfectly stable.

John

[/quote]

If you want to make some correct tests you need TWO PC with Ryzen 7 processor and you ought to make computer-computer matches instead of engine-engine matches on the same PC. Moreover on the PC running engine with 8 or less threads you have to switch OFF (=DISABLED) the SMT mode.
Because when SMT=AUTO the system BIOS pairs the physical and logical (SMT/HT) cores. This means that for an engine using for e.g. 8 cores BIOS gives to it 4 physical cores and 4 logical (SMT/HT) cores. Naturally 4 physical cores + 4 logical cores give lesser power of CPU than 8 physical cores.
jstanback
Full name: John Stanback

Post by jstanback »

corres wrote:
jstanback wrote: I played a couple very short matches between my latest development version of Wasp using 8 threads and the same version using 16 threads and 12 threads. Time control was Game/10s + 167ms. Here are the results:

John
If you want to make some correct tests you need TWO PC with Ryzen 7 processor and you ought to make computer-computer matches instead of engine-engine matches on the same PC. Moreover on the PC running engine with 8 or less threads you have to switch OFF (=DISABLED) the SMT mode.
Because when SMT=AUTO the system BIOS pairs the physical and logical (SMT/HT) cores. This means that for an engine using for e.g. 8 cores BIOS gives to it 4 physical cores and 4 logical (SMT/HT) cores. Naturally 4 physical cores + 4 logical cores give lesser power of CPU than 8 physical cores.
When I first ran my Ryzen I saw the problem you mention where Windows 10 was using hyperthreads for 4 of the 8 threads instead of using the 4 inactive threads. With SMT turn on, the nodes/sec for 8 threads was much worse than 8 * nodes/sec for 1 thread. I updated the BIOS and then changed to the Windows 10 high-performance power plan and this fixed the problem. Now I get the same nps for 8 cores whether SMT is turned on or off.

John
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

corres wrote:Because when SMT=AUTO the system BIOS pairs the physical and logical (SMT/HT) cores. This means that for an engine using for e.g. 8 cores BIOS gives to it 4 physical cores and 4 logical (SMT/HT) cores. Naturally 4 physical cores + 4 logical cores give lesser power of CPU than 8 physical cores.
Hi Robert
Interesting. So, is it your contention, that contrary to popular perception, Hyperthreading even for Ryzen Processors, is not really good for computer chess ?
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

jstanback wrote:I played a couple very short matches between my latest development version of Wasp using 8 threads and the same version using 16 threads and 12 threads. Time control was Game/10s + 167ms. Here are the results:

John
Hi John
Could you run this Test and also the previous one, both with Stockfish and Komodo, and let us know the results ?
I have a hunch that you will get varying results.
Thank You.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

corres wrote:
jstanback wrote: I played a couple very short matches between my latest development version of Wasp using 8 threads and the same version using 16 threads and 12 threads. Time control was Game/10s + 167ms. Here are the results:

John

Why are you unable to quote properly in ALL your messages? They are hard to read. Also, why you are often stating wrong things? Windows even without affinities set, knows pretty well to set active threads on physical cores, if available. With affinities set, one can test properly with HT=ON as with HT=OFF on the same machine.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Laskos wrote:Why are you unable to quote properly in ALL your messages? They are hard to read.
He possibly has "use BBCode" set to "No" in his profile. I tried to ask him about it once but he ignored me.
Deasil is the right way to go.
corres

Post by corres »

[quote="Laskos"]

Why are you unable to quote properly in ALL your messages? They are hard to read. Also, why you are often stating wrong things? Windows even without affinities set, knows pretty well to set active threads on physical cores, if available. With affinities set, one can test properly with HT=ON as with HT=OFF on the same machine.

[/quote]

Why do you like to provoke often anybody?

Can you see [qoute=""] and [/quote] marks?

If you run engine-engine matches both engine run in the same frame/GUI.
How can you set different affinity for every single engine?

And in general: computer-computer matches give more accurate results than engine-engine matches. Can you hear about it?

Before you provoke anybody you should cogitate also, Mister.
corres

Post by corres »

[quote="shrapnel"]

Hi Robert
Interesting. So, is it your contention, that contrary to popular perception, Hyperthreading even for Ryzen Processors, is not really good for computer chess ?

[/quote]

Please, read my post about "Chess power of Ryzen 7 processor" from beginning to its end.

My experiments prove that:

IN THE CASE OF OVERCLOCKED RYZEN 7 THE EFFECT OF SMT MODE IS VERY SMALL.

BUT WITHOUT OVERCLOCKING SMT MODE (SMT=AUTO) IS EFFECTIVE AND ENHANCE THE POWER OF RYZEN 7.

NOTE: Intel processors like your i7 5960x behaves the same way, so there is no surprising.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Laskos wrote:
corres wrote:

John

Why are you unable to quote properly in ALL your messages? They are hard to read. Also, why you are often stating wrong things?
May be this helps to explain it to you
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... =&start=30
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy