McBrain 2017 2.4 - an early release!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MikeB

McBrain 2017 2.4 - an early release!

Post by MikeB »

Source, details and all flavors of exe's are located here:

just in time to play the latest Komodo!

https://github.com/MichaelB7/Stockfish/ ... s/tag/v2.4

for just one person on this board, if he responds you will know who he is..

Code: Select all

And please, if this post and what I am doing bothers you , please just move on. The world does not need to see that your panties are in a twitch again,.  For  a supposed diplomat , I have never met anyone less diplomatic ...try exercising some diplomacy...

diplomacy  ... the art of dealing with people in a sensitive and effective way

obviously your attacks are not working effectively as I keep doing what I'm doing what I love to do - with this release, total downloads of McBrain will reach over 2000..so obviously there are some people that appreciate McBrain - it just happens not to be you...
Nordlandia

Re: McBrain 2017 2.4 - an early release!

Post by Nordlandia »

McBrain 2.4 solves Behting Study under 30s from the initial position.

It is finally evaluated as 0.00

SSD: Samsung 960 EVO

CPU: i7-5960X
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Nordlandia wrote:McBrain 2.4 solves Behting Study under 30s from the initial position.

It is finally evaluated as 0.00

SSD: Samsung 960 EVO

CPU: i7-5960X
that's an excellent time!

a little longer for me

info depth 54 seldepth 83 multipv 1 score cp 0 nodes 1439637604 nps 37830445 hashfull 993 tbhits 11562103 time 38055 pv d5c6 g2g1q f5h4 g1a1 h4f3 a1a5 c6d6 a5b5 d6e6 b5c5 e6f5 c5d5 f5f4 d5a8 f4e3 a8a4 e3d4 c4c3 d4c3 a4f4 d2d4 f4c1 c3b4 c1b1 b4c5 b1c2 c5b4 c2b1
switch to the correct move in 1/2 second

info depth 20 seldepth 45 multipv 1 score cp -424 nodes 8894033 nps 15494831 tbhits 96357 time 574 pv d5c6 g2g1q f5h4 g1a1 h4f3 a1a5 c6d6 a5b5 d6e6 b5c5 e6f5 c5b4 f5e6 b4b5 e6f5 b5a4 f5e6 a4a2 e6f5 a2a6 f5f4 a6e6 f4e3 e6b6 e3e4 b6d6
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

thanks for this michael, always appreciated!
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Thank you Michael for another great version of McBrain.

John
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

MikeB wrote:Source, details and all flavors of exe's are located here:

And please, if this post and what I am doing bothers you , please just move on. The world does not need to see that your panties are in a twitch again,.  For  a supposed diplomat , I have never met anyone less diplomatic ...try exercising some diplomacy...

obviously your attacks are not working effectively as I keep doing what I'm doing what I love to do - with this release, total downloads of McBrain will reach over 2000..so obviously there are some people that appreciate McBrain - it just happens not to be you...
I am not bothered with your project, neither with the fun you might have, but with the (according to me) false superiority claims, displayed in almost any test/rating list you have published here.

ask Ingo to run a test for you at blitz TC to compare with latest SF.
if MB gets on top, even by a single elo point(cerebellum off), I will solemnly apologise here.
if, however, MB finishes below latest SF, then you will apologise for flooding the forum with false information(what they call this now, fake news?)

Many people attack me too, even though on less reasonable grounds, but I have never mentioned anyone's panties...

Before being a diplomat, I am a person liking the truth. Truth always comes first.

Just go on with your experiments, why bother with me, but also do the runs I suggested.
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

i cant speak for michael or what his goals are but the engine's utility comes not in being 'stronger' than stockfish; that's unimportant. id imagine if michael finds some idea that adds pure elo he'd just ask it to be tested officially by SF team.

the point (for me) is that it incorporates features & tuning options vanilla SF doesn't...as far as i'm concerned some elo (in comparison to bleeding edge SF builds, at very least) is sacrificed but a more interesting/useful/fun all-around engine is built around it.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:

I am not bothered with your project, neither with the fun you might have, but with the (according to me) false superiority claims, displayed in almost any test/rating list you have published here.

if MB gets on top, even by a single elo point(cerebellum off), I will solemnly apologise here.
if, however, MB finishes below latest SF, then you will apologise for flooding the forum with false information(what they call this now, fake news?)

Many people attack me too, even though on less reasonable grounds, but I have never mentioned anyone's panties...

Before being a diplomat, I am a person liking the truth. Truth always comes first.

Just go on with your experiments, why bother with me, but also do the runs I suggested.
This is a much more mature and appropriate response and one that I would more likely expect from a diplomat than some of the others posts. First , I apologize for offending your sensibilities of truth and honesty as that is not who I am. In all sincerity, I was perhaps a little overzealous or excited about results I obtain in my limited testing that over time had not panned out. It's to the point that I recgonize now I should not make any claims for any gains period as that was never , ever my primary objective - which I was to simply add some tools in the toolbox ( features and functionality ) that standard Stockfish does not have. So I'm willing to let bygones be bygones and will try to curb my overzealous enthusiasm that you found offensive and I'm sure you are not the only that I may have offended. I made a pointed effort on this last release not make any claims and in fact , McBrain is Stockfish if you look at the simply the chess engine playing ability. No more posts on "panties" if you express yourself in the same thoughtful way as you did in this post -and will make sure if I do post any games or match results , I will caveat them in such a way that any reader will understand that I am not making claims about superiority. Are we good ? Let's do this - if do make a post that offends you - please PM first. Like wise if i see something you posted , I will PM you. Is that fair?

I have no desire to be in a of battle words with anybody. I have known many people on this board for a long time - I worked at Nortel while Mark Uniacke worked there. I traded emails with Ed Schroeder over 20 years ago about opening books and game collections - was working on Crafty with Bob Hyatt since 1996 , was buying chess computers from ICD/Your Move Chess and Games ( the forum sponsor since 1990) and the list goes on and on - so in my little beady head - I thought I deserved ( rightly or wrongly) a little more respect than what your posts suggested I was getting from you.

So if you are in agreement , let's hit the reset button on the way we interact with each other and what happened in the past happened in the past. It's ok to look in the rear view mirror but one should never stare , our focus should always be on left looking forward.
So with that much longer winded response than what I had initially intended , I am looking forward to our new relationship starting now!
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

MikeB wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:

This is a much more mature and appropriate response and one that I would more likely expect from a diplomat than some of the others posts. First , I apologize for offending your sensibilities of truth and honesty as that is not who I am. In all sincerity, I was perhaps a little overzealous or excited about results I obtain in my limited testing that over time had not panned out. It's to the point that I recgonize now I should not make any claims for any gains period as that was never , ever my primary objective - which I was to simply add some tools in the toolbox ( features and functionality ) that standard Stockfish does not have. So I'm willing to let bygones be bygones and will try to curb my overzealous enthusiasm that you found offensive and I'm sure you are not the only that I may have offended. I made a pointed effort on this last release not make any claims and in fact , McBrain is Stockfish if you look at the simply the chess engine playing ability. No more posts on "panties" if you express yourself in the same thoughtful way as you did in this post -and will make sure if I do post any games or match results , I will caveat them in such a way that any reader will understand that I am not making claims about superiority. Are we good ? Let's do this - if do make a post that offends you - please PM first. Like wise if i see something you posted , I will PM you. Is that fair?

I have no desire to be in a of battle words with anybody. I have known many people on this board for a long time - I worked at Nortel while Mark Uniacke worked there. I traded emails with Ed Schroeder over 20 years ago about opening books and game collections - was working on Crafty with Bob Hyatt since 1996 , was buying chess computers from ICD/Your Move Chess and Games ( the forum sponsor since 1990) and the list goes on and on - so in my little beady head - I thought I deserved ( rightly or wrongly) a little more respect than what your posts suggested I was getting from you.

So if you are in agreement , let's hit the reset button on the way we interact with each other and what happened in the past happened in the past. It's ok to look in the rear view mirror but one should never stare , our focus should always be on left looking forward.
So with that much longer winded response than what I had initially intended , I am looking forward to our new relationship starting now!
Mike, I have never broken no relationships at all, it is you who gets offended in some way.
I do not remember when I have spoken sharp words against you; if you mean phrasings of the type 'all your gain is due to cerebellum book', I do not see anything offensive here.

well, I am perfectly fine with you servicing the Mac community, as well as with adding features to SF.

it is just that I never quite believed that in every single of your lists MB has been leading SF, you should understand me.

looking forward to new MB, 50 elo stronger than SF. :)
Rowen

Post by Rowen »

Hi

Thanks for this new McBrain, I am always interested to play against these engines and to test the limit ratings interpretations. For me style and 'Human like play' is important as apparently this isnt always easy to implement when an engine is hadicapped in some way. Your stockfish derivatives seem to do a good job in my opinion on this score.

I am not a strong player, Kasparov's underpants would probably beat me in a game of chess, so for me, absolute strength isnt an issue. There is always the latest Stockfish etc.

If I may, a quick question- I read somewhere about the random factor for the limit ratings, is that built in to limit ratings or is it an option under 'variety' ?

Anyway ,thanks for your efforts.

NR