World #1 Go Player Ke Jie accepts Google Alpha Go Match..

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

whereagles

Re: World #1 Go Player Ke Jie accepts Google Alpha Go Match.

Post by whereagles »

mankind's last hope is played out in just a few hours 8-)

go Ke Jie!
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

whereagles wrote:mankind's last hope is played out in just a few hours 8-)

go Ke Jie!
This thing is probably 3 handicap stones stones stronger than Ke Jie. Cannot wait for it or something even remotely similar like Zen to appear for home PC.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Laskos wrote:

go Ke Jie!
This thing is probably 3 handicap stones stones stronger than Ke Jie. Cannot wait for it or something even remotely similar like Zen to appear for home PC.[/quote

Michael Redmond (9 dan Pro) thought two stones would be fair. Two stone handicap should produce about a 20 point win between even players, so if the final score of these even games would have been about 20 points plus for AlphaGo if AlphaGo were score-maximizing rather than win% maximizing, two stones should be even. That sounds about right to me, but who knows?
Komodo rules!
zenpawn

Post by zenpawn »

IanO wrote:
lkaufman wrote: By a curious coincidence (?) just last week the top Shogi engines defeated the World Champion ("Meijin" to be exact) Sato 2 to 0 in comparably serious games, and they weren't even close; my judgment as an amateur 5 Dan is that the engine could easily give a Lance handicap to any human and expect to win So assuming that the computer wins this Go match, Go will have lasted one week longer than Shogi before having fallen to the computers!
Remarkable! Do you have a link for the shogi result and game records? I've recently become much more interested in the game since a club started up in Portland, and I started programming a PN-search problem solver.
The engine in question is Ponanza.

Game 1: http://denou.jp/2017/kifu/20170401.html

Game 2: http://denou.jp/2017/kifu/20170520.html
Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Ke Jie already losing by move 50, blunder move 40, right after the opening. "Leela" 8dan:

whereagles

Post by whereagles »

wel.. the expected 3-0 happened

Ke Jie: "AlphaGo is just perfect"

yet it will look like a patzer in a few... months??? :)
whereagles

Post by whereagles »

"Painful to play the AI.. it doesn't let you see any chances. Good decision to play only 3 games." Ke Jie

kind like playing da fish... lol
whereagles

Post by whereagles »

Denis & AG team: no more matches planned, but some goodies are coming

- Analysis of the games by Ke Jie and AlphaGo team, using internal data.
- Some matches of AlphaGo selfgames to be published online.
- Journal paper coming up with explanation of improvements over Lee Sedol AI version.

Algorithms to be redirected to medical science, materials science, energy consumption reduction.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Ke Jie:

"AlphaGo kept on playing the moves I feared most."

"When AlphaGo played a move I didn't expect, it turned out to be a very strong move when I dug into the position."

It seems that humans already go wrong in the phase after the opening up to move 100, when AlphaGo is already winning.
Laskos

Post by Laskos »

lkaufman wrote:
Laskos wrote:

go Ke Jie!
This thing is probably 3 handicap stones stones stronger than Ke Jie. Cannot wait for it or something even remotely similar like Zen to appear for home PC.[/quote

Michael Redmond (9 dan Pro) thought two stones would be fair. Two stone handicap should produce about a 20 point win between even players, so if the final score of these even games would have been about 20 points plus for AlphaGo if AlphaGo were score-maximizing rather than win% maximizing, two stones should be even. That sounds about right to me, but who knows?
2 stones was based on "Master" online games in January. AlphaGo meanwhile must have improved, the advantage versus Ke Jie might be anywhere at 3-5 stones, or up to 1000 ELO points. It's very hard for me to guess, and I think very few know. It seems they are in different category, like pro versus amateur.

I yesterday discovered that Gian-Carlo Pascutto, author of Deep Sjeng, has made a top Go program, free, called Leela. The previous iteration is already no.8 on KGS, and the new one is *very* strong.

https://www.sjeng.org/leela.html

It is professional level program, the strongest available for public, free or commercial. I re-analyzed the three Ke Jia games, all were lost right after the opening, starting with moves 40-60:

They seem to indicate a huge strength difference. The third game went nasty for Ke Jie, AlphaGo was not content winning marginally, it thrashed Ke Jie.