Important announcement: World Computer Chess Championship –

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Daniel Anulliero

Re: Important announcement: World Computer Chess Championshi

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

Mr Sean Evans , can you write something interresting here , one time in your life ? :lol:
Isa download :
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Daniel Anulliero wrote:
Sean Evans wrote:http://en.chessbase.com/post/computer-c ... new-format

Another reason programs do not want to play is many programs are derivatives and know they will be caught like Rybka was caught cheating!

Speaking of derivatives is Andscacs participating in the tourney? If not, why not?!

Sean
Aha the king of the troll is back ! Lol
Not for long I guess...
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Another reason programs do not want to play is many programs are derivatives and know they will be caught like Rybka was caught cheating!

Speaking of derivatives is Andscacs participating in the tourney? If not, why not?!

Sean
You should lay off criticising Andscacs.
Other engine authors have already told you to do so, yet you insist based on nothing but your imagination and liking for stirring up crap.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

jdart wrote:It sounds like a reasonable proposal, except in cases of >3 entrants I am not clear what their selection procedure would be.

--Jon
Indeed.

Another problem may arise when the winner doesn't want to play the next year.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Rebel wrote:
jdart wrote:It sounds like a reasonable proposal, except in cases of >3 entrants I am not clear what their selection procedure would be.

--Jon
Indeed.

Another problem may arise when the winner doesn't want to play the next year.
No problem by default Skipper will be World Champion. :) Unless they might think Skipper is a Stockfish clone.
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

We suppose that then the game will always be against the old champion.
The winning version of the previous year, not a remodeled version.
It seems a retrograde idea.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

I am sure David Levy is open for ideas.

This one has some good points and some bad:

First, play the World Chess Software Championship (where all entries complete on identical hardware). The winning X entries qualify for the World Computer Chess Championship which can use whatever hardware they want.

Good points: the WCSC is typically at a faster time control and happens on a weekend normally, reducing hotel expenses. And makes things a bit more like the Human Championship where they need to qualify from earlier matches. If WCSC was somehow done on the internet, it could be done pretty cheaply since only the qualifying entries need to travel.

The bad: it rules out special hardware (like Deep Blue)
It shortens the event. A nice things about these events is the exchange of ideas. People who travel from far away would not know how long to book the travel.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

cdani wrote:

Sean
Again just your imagination.
Your comment makes no sense to me. Mind you, neither did the comment you responded to, but that's pretty normal for him.

I don't expect Andscacs to enter, but not because of any wrongdoing.
Deasil is the right way to go.
jdart

Post by jdart »

I know it's traditional for these to be on-premise events but in the modern world there are so many ways to connect people online. Were I to enter, I couldn't take big hardware to Europe, most likely, and would be connecting to something remote anyway. (I remember trying to bring 200 lbs of high-end computer equipment into Germany once, and the customs guy just looked at it and said "We take this." It took several days to get it back). So why do I have to take my body there?

--Jon
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

mjlef wrote:I am sure David Levy is open for ideas.
Is that a joke, or are you serious ?

He is an old donkey. No one can change his mind. He still thinks computer tournaments should be manually operated, today, in 2017. He obviously understands nothing about statistics either, give the "all play all" format of the tournament. Doesn't want to make it a fair competition, by forcing all engines to use the same hardware, same book, same TB.

Then he doesn't understand why no one joins his "world championship"…
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.