Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

Nature or nurture? Chess players have higher than average IQ

Post by Sean Evans »

Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Re: Nature or nurture? Chess players have higher than averag

Post by Vinvin »

Do "chess players have an higher IQ than others people because they play chess" or do "people who have an higher IQs more likely play chess" ? :-)
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Vinvin wrote:
Do "chess players have an higher IQ than others people because they play chess" or do "people who have an higher IQs more likely play chess" ? :-)
Why did the chicken cross the road?
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Sean Evans wrote:Why did the chicken cross the road?
Because the endgame table bases indicated that the game was won over there.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Vinvin wrote:
The only way to know is to do IQ tests for children who do not play chess and do the same tests later when part of the children play chess to compare between difference in children who learned to play chess and play seriously and children who did not learn to play chess.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

whereagles

Post by whereagles »

Not an expert on the field, but I vaguely remember IQ to be geared towards analytic skills. No wonder chess players have high IQ.. it's an analytic game :)

More modern intelligences test consider various dimensions. In addition to analytic skills, others are also tested for: social, musical, physical, artistic, etc.

Susan Polgar undertook one such test for research and results were not impressive... :roll:
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

That seems to answer your question (which is not answered by the first article):
Vinvin wrote:
Do "chess players have an higher IQ than others people because they play chess" or do "people who have an higher IQs more likely to play chess" ? :-)
It seems "people who have an higher IQs are more likely play chess". From the first article the difference seems substantial, in standard terms it amounts 7.5 IQ points (with 100 average and 15 standard deviation).

From my own experience, strong casual players of chess are pretty limited :-). I have no experience with GMs, but only rarely a really intellectual, broad, cultured person like Taimanov emerged.
duncan

Post by duncan »

whereagles wrote:Not an expert on the field, but I vaguely remember IQ to be geared towards analytic skills. No wonder chess players have high IQ.. it's an analytic game :)

More modern intelligences test consider various dimensions. In addition to analytic skills, others are also tested for: social, musical, physical, artistic, etc.
of all the intelligences you listed , I think analytic is by far the most important and predictive
whereagles

Post by whereagles »

duncan wrote:
whereagles wrote:Not an expert on the field, but I vaguely remember IQ to be geared towards analytic skills. No wonder chess players have high IQ.. it's an analytic game :)

of all the intelligences you listed , I think analytic is by far the most important and predictive
That depends on what your goal is. If you wanna be a superb technician, analytic intelligence is key. Doing well in life kind of requires above average social intelligence (well... or luck in being born rich).