AMD EPYC 7000 launches June 20th

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Re: AMD EPYC 7000 launches June 20th

Post by Leo »

Yar wrote:Hello,
32 cores@3,2Ghz in Turbo mode, TDP 180W, ~4 000$:
https://videocardz.com/70266/amd-epyc-7 ... nce-leaked
Which is better for chess? A 10 core over clocked cpu or this new AMD
32 cores?
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
AlvaroBegue
Full name: Álvaro Begué (RuyDos)

Post by AlvaroBegue »

Leo wrote:
32 cores?
The answer might depend on what you intend to do with the computer. If you want to run a single engine using all cores at the same time, my guess is 10 fast cores will beat 32 slower ones, (although only testing can tell). But if you want to test if a proposed modification to an engine's evaluation function is an improvement, you are better off using single-threaded instances and running a match with 32 games going on in parallel. Unless the 10 cores are more than three times as fast as the 32 cores, the 32-core machine will be better for this purpose.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

AlvaroBegue wrote:
Leo wrote:
32 cores?
The answer might depend on what you intend to do with the computer. If you want to run a single engine using all cores at the same time, my guess is 10 fast cores will beat 32 slower ones, (although only testing can tell). But if you want to test if a proposed modification to an engine's evaluation function is an improvement, you are better off using single-threaded instances and running a match with 32 games going on in parallel. Unless the 10 cores are more than three times as fast as the 32 cores, the 32-core machine will be better for this purpose.
That is what I want to do. (Use a single Engine to analyze a position) I am hearing this answer more and more. Thanks.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Leo wrote:
AlvaroBegue wrote:
Leo wrote:
32 cores?
That is what I want to do. (Use a single Engine to analyze a position) I am hearing this answer more and more. Thanks.
There is little improvement in a single engine strength for most programs after 10 cores. I would get the fastest 8 or 10 core machine out there since that is really most the bang for you buck to use one engine on one position

One processor to consider is Intel Core i7-6900K that gets very high integer score on Geekbench for 8 processors for the money. Some online stores will overclock it for you for a modest cost to 4.4 Ghz. With the 6950K , you can have 10 cores. Generally speaking, the best value for the money are the CPUs released over a year ago as the price will come down dramatically and the new CPUs are not that mush faster.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

MikeB wrote:
Leo wrote:
AlvaroBegue wrote:
Leo wrote:
32 cores?
There is little improvement in a single engine strength for most programs after 10 cores. I would get the fastest 8 or 10 core machine out there since that is really most the bang for you buck to use one engine on one position

One processor to consider is Intel Core i7-6900K that gets very high integer score on Geekbench for 8 processors for the money. Some online stores will overclock it for you for a modest cost to 4.4 Ghz. With the 6950K , you can have 10 cores. Generally speaking, the best value for the money are the CPUs released over a year ago as the price will come down dramatically and the new CPUs are not that mush faster.
With 32 cores, you could have three strong engines all analyzing at 10 cores going full tilt and still be able to check your mail and browse the web.

If the O.P. wants to analyze chess positions at long time control, this affords a unique opportunity. The cost of additional engines adds little to the project cost.

If you have all three engines in agreement, then you know you have a very solid move. But if one has a sport move and eval and the eval is better, then you can reexamine it more deeply.

If the O.P. is playing correspondence chess, then probably what is really wanted is to get the best possible analysis in 24 hours for a given budget.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Dann Corbit wrote:
With 32 cores, you could have three strong engines all analyzing at 10 cores going full tilt and still be able to check your mail and browse the web.

If the O.P. wants to analyze chess positions at long time control, this affords a unique opportunity. The cost of additional engines adds little to the project cost.

If you have all three engines in agreement, then you know you have a very solid move. But if one has a sport move and eval and the eval is better, then you can reexamine it more deeply.

If the O.P. is playing correspondence chess, then probably what is really wanted is to get the best possible analysis in 24 hours for a given budget.
good point ...
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Building an AMD supercomputer !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXjvoNta_1Y
corres

Post by corres »

[quote="Dann Corbit"]

.... and still be able to check your mail and browse the web.

[/quote]

For browsing the web a ten years old PC is absolutely suitable. It cots ~100 $
and this sum is worth for safety.
It is not a good method to use a PC working on important thing to abut to a public net.