Good move vs Bad move ratio in opening preparation question

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

leavenfish

Good move vs Bad move ratio in opening preparation question

Post by leavenfish »

I am not sure if this would fall under 'general topics' or 'programming'...so, here it is.

OTB chess is about making good moves and NOT making mistakes. Therefore when analyzing an opening - usually with Komodo - I often use the Chessbase 'x' key to feature when letting an engine analyse, so as to 'skip' a half move and see threats that may be present after a move for my opponents side. The 'narrower' a path of good moves one side has to make, the more likely he is to go wrong. Chess (OTB especially) IS a game of mistakes.

What I am wondering is if anyone knows of a program that allows an engine to analyse multiple replies to a move and give...say a percentage of 'poor/bad' moves vs good replies available to the other side...and so determine areas where you are better able to drag your opponent into a minefield of 'only' moves where he is more likely to make a mistake? This or something similar.

If one could program such a feature to an engine...or to allow an engine to do so (like the time consuming 'x' feature in Chess base) in a program, it seems like this would be a great way to prepare sharp openings.