TT & symmetry

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MahmoudUthman

TT & symmetry

Post by MahmoudUthman »

Has anyone tested hashing positions in a color agnostic way ?
AlvaroBegue
Full name: Álvaro Begué (RuyDos)

Re: TT & symmetry

Post by AlvaroBegue »

No. What would the point be? You won't encounter symmetric positions in a search tree often enough for this to be worth any complication.
Evert

Post by Evert »

Yes, I think Reinhard Scharnagl did that, and posted some results from it. I don't know how far his testing went, and sadly he isn't around anymore to comment on it.
In a practical sense, once you get away from opening positions, such positions would be sufficiently rare that it doesn't matter one way or the other.
ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

Myself, Robert Taylor and Manik Charan debated trying this in our colour-agnostic engine Monochrome.

Manik raised the point of a colour-agnostic hash returning a false positive for repetition detection after a triangulation. Whether this would actually occur in the search tree is up for debate, but we decided to add a "colour" key (in so far as the engine only recognises of a position has been flipped or not).
Some believe in the almighty dollar.

I believe in the almighty printf statement.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

ZirconiumX wrote:Manik raised the point of a colour-agnostic hash returning a false positive for repetition detection after a triangulation.
You should not use the agnostic key for repetition detection, of course. Hashing and repetition detection are separate functions.
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

MahmoudUthman wrote:Has anyone tested hashing positions in a color agnostic way ?
I used it in a DirGolem approach in an experimental HansDamf some years ago. A quadbitboard plus ep and castling rights, and zobristkey were color flipped in make move to always generate moves for both sides in the same order (only white to move). The dependency zob[piece][sq] == bswap(zob[piece^1][sq^56]) seemed not to lead to significant more collisions as far as I remember. I did not elabortate on additional hits in symmetrical positions or did not try to probe with a byte swapped zobrist key. Reinhard Scharnagl also used color agnostic move generation but afaik not hashing.