Next Komodo match: knight odds at chess960 to an IM!

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

How will Komodo score against IM Rensch?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:57 pm

0 or 0.5 out of 4.
No votes
1 out of 4.
No votes
1.5 out of 4.
30%
2 out of 4.
10%
2.5 out of 4.
30%
3 out of 4.
30%
3.5 or 4 out of 4.
No votes

Total votes: 10

lkaufman

Next Komodo match: knight odds at chess960 to an IM!

Post by lkaufman »

Komodo is now scheduled to play a chess960 match on chess.com giving knight odds to chess.com vice-president IM Daniel (Danny) Rensch. Danny is rated 2388 FIDE, 2494 USCF, and is just 32 years old. He is immersed in chess full time on chess.com, his USCF rating is at its peak, and he has tremendous experience playing computers with handicaps on chess.com. Since this will be a self-commented match, time limit has been increased to 45 minutes plus 30 seconds per move increment, with the added 15 seconds (from the last similar match) per move to allow commentary time for him and operator time for me (I'll actually set Komodo for 45 min + 15 seconds). As with the last match, I'll remove the less central knight, or the one further from the king if equally central, and Komodo gets White each game. Four games over two days (July 18 and 19, 2 p.m and 6 p.m. Eastern time each day). Komodo will use the latest version and the best available hardware, presumably my 24 core Xeon machine.
This match is of course a result of the surprising four to zero victory under similar conditions against FM John Meyer. I would not have dared to propose such a match before this shocking result, but now I felt an obligation to do so. Despite the result of the last match, Meyer really should have easily won one game and probably a second, and his opinion is that a player rated at least 2300 USCF should be favored. Danny is rated 277 points higher than John, is less than half his age, and will be much less fatigued as the match is over two days instead of all in one. Talking about the game in progress is a distraction, but the extra 15 seconds per move should compensate. I'm not optimistic, but as long as Komodo doesn't get whitewashed I won't be too upset.
Komodo rules!
Modern Times

Re: Next Komodo match: knight odds at chess960 to an IM!

Post by Modern Times »

Thanks for organising these matches ! I'm not sure how to vote on this one. I think Komodo should be able to at least draw the match, I'm not sure..
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

Even with a much better and younger player, it's gonna be tough for Danny. It might win some, might loose one and miss some win. I d go go 2/4 for both side. But Danny might be slighty favorite if he manages to keep his concentration.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

I decided to go for 2.5 for Komodo. But as you say, if Danny can keep his concentration, focus and motivation Komodo may be in trouble.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

lkaufman wrote:Komodo is now scheduled to play a chess960 match on chess.com giving knight odds to chess.com vice-president IM Daniel (Danny) Rensch. Danny is rated 2388 FIDE, 2494 USCF, and is just 32 years old. He is immersed in chess full time on chess.com, his USCF rating is at its peak, and he has tremendous experience playing computers with handicaps on chess.com. Since this will be a self-commented match, time limit has been increased to 45 minutes plus 30 seconds per move increment, with the added 15 seconds (from the last similar match) per move to allow commentary time for him and operator time for me (I'll actually set Komodo for 45 min + 15 seconds). As with the last match, I'll remove the less central knight, or the one further from the king if equally central, and Komodo gets White each game. Four games over two days (July 18 and 19, 2 p.m and 6 p.m. Eastern time each day). Komodo will use the latest version and the best available hardware, presumably my 24 core Xeon machine.
This match is of course a result of the surprising four to zero victory under similar conditions against FM John Meyer. I would not have dared to propose such a match before this shocking result, but now I felt an obligation to do so. Despite the result of the last match, Meyer really should have easily won one game and probably a second, and his opinion is that a player rated at least 2300 USCF should be favored. Danny is rated 277 points higher than John, is less than half his age, and will be much less fatigued as the match is over two days instead of all in one. Talking about the game in progress is a distraction, but the extra 15 seconds per move should compensate. I'm not optimistic, but as long as Komodo doesn't get whitewashed I won't be too upset.
Again I missed the chess960 condition as in the previous vote. (probably chess960 alone is more than a pawn in favour of the program)
IMO that makes it so much harder for the Human side and of course uncomparable to the handicap match last year with N odds and the plain chess setup.
I am sure Komodo has made some progress and I would find it a lot more interesting w/o that chess960 condition.

Guenther
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Guenther wrote:
lkaufman wrote:Komodo is now scheduled to play a chess960 match on chess.com giving knight odds to chess.com vice-president IM Daniel (Danny) Rensch. Danny is rated 2388 FIDE, 2494 USCF, and is just 32 years old. He is immersed in chess full time on chess.com, his USCF rating is at its peak, and he has tremendous experience playing computers with handicaps on chess.com. Since this will be a self-commented match, time limit has been increased to 45 minutes plus 30 seconds per move increment, with the added 15 seconds (from the last similar match) per move to allow commentary time for him and operator time for me (I'll actually set Komodo for 45 min + 15 seconds). As with the last match, I'll remove the less central knight, or the one further from the king if equally central, and Komodo gets White each game. Four games over two days (July 18 and 19, 2 p.m and 6 p.m. Eastern time each day). Komodo will use the latest version and the best available hardware, presumably my 24 core Xeon machine.
Again I missed the chess960 condition as in the previous vote. (probably chess960 alone is more than a pawn in favour of the program)
IMO that makes it so much harder for the Human side and of course uncomparable to the handicap match last year with N odds and the plain chess setup.
I am sure Komodo has made some progress and I would find it a lot more interesting w/o that chess960 condition.

Guenther
In normal chess knight odds Komodo played three matches about two years ago and scored just 25% against about a 2150 FIDE average strength of opposition. So about a 1950 performance. Even with all the improvement since then I wouldn't expect to reach 2100 now. Of course chess960 is harder for the human than normal chess knight odds, but it would have to be 300 elo harder just for us to have an even chance vs. Danny.
Komodo rules!
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Tough match for Komodo. I am expecting many draws, as strong engines defend extremely well in inferior positions to the end, and will punish every mistake. Chess960 is less drawish generally, but when a human will start losing his advantage, he will try to draw. This IM is strong, a young one at his peak and has experience playing these monster engines. I will go for 1.5/4 for Komodo. I think Komodo's Contempt has to be set high to avoid many draws, maybe to C=120 or so. Just for spectacularity, Contempt=80 might perform better on average, due to more boring draws.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Guenther wrote: I am sure Komodo has made some progress and I would find it a lot more interesting w/o that chess960 condition.

Guenther
Progress at Knight-Odds is about 20%-25% of the progress at no-Odds. So, if Komodo improved by 120 Elo points in rating lists, it might mean only 25-30 points improvement at Knight-Odds. A FM like Bolzoni would beat again Komodo at Knight-Odds if he keeps his opening scheme and Komodo cannot avoid it.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Danny has asked to reschedule the match. I'll post the new dates when I have them confirmed. We may have another match before this one.
Komodo rules!
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

About handicap, I was thinking about Komodo sacrifing twice a piece for a pawn in the opening and get a not too bad position for him to play.