TLCV can't connect to server

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Re: TLCV can't connect to server

Post by Sven »

AlvaroBegue wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by a "mobile network". I am using wifi inside my house, but that should be irrelevant.
Well, WiFi is not an issue usually. What I mean is a mobile network like LTE, HSPA+, UMTS, GSM, EDGE, ... So all kinds of accessing the Internet through a SIM card.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: TLCV can't connect to server

Post by hgm »

AlvaroBegue wrote:That means I can only run the viewer in a particular machine in my home, and I have to mess with router/modem/firewall settings if I want to run it on another one.
Indeed, this is one of the big problems with TLCV. (The other being that it only handles orthodox Chess. :wink: )

For these reasons I had derived the (browser-based) ChessLive! viewer (for a demo with an old game, see http://hgm.nubati.net/WCCC/game1/chess.html ). But it only worked when the audience had direct access to the machine that was running the games. (I had installed the Abyss web server on my Windows machine for that.)

By now I know more about HTTP, and recently I have started development of a broadcasting system that allows the machine broadcasting the games to deposit moves and PVs through an outgoing HTTP connection on the server accessed by the audience, while the latter only needs a browser-based client. The JavaScript client still acquires the data through periodic polling, though, which is not ideal. I am considering to support 'long polling' in the server to improve this.